Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon phase

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moon phase

Does anybody base their fishing off of the times that are belived to be the major and minor feeding times? I have never really gave this much thought. I usually go early and stay late, some days I wear them out and some......well some days I wear them out. Just curious about the truth to times I always read about!

Clarksville Fishing Reports and Fishing Forecasts - weather.com
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I fish whenever I'm able. If my trip coincides with a major or minor period, great. If not, I'm still gonna fish. The only time I even consider the moon phase is during the bluegill spawn. Even then, I'll still fish if I have the time, regardless of the moon phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I fish whenever I'm able. If my trip coincides with a major or minor period, great. If not, I'm still gonna fish. The only time I even consider the moon phase is during the bluegill spawn. Even then, I'll still fish if I have the time, regardless of the moon phase.
    Yeah, that pretty much always been my philosophy too!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

A wise old man told me long ago that the absolute best time to go fishing is whenever you can. Can't go wrong with that. That aside, I have developed a theory (who hasn't). I live in Alabama and have observed that in the spring I catch more crappie in the morning, and by late September the best time seems to be late afternoon and just into the early night. I have never had much luck in the winter; however, the "pattern" I just described occurred to me just a few months ago. So, this winter I am going to try night fishing. Does this make any sense? Maybe I just have too much time on my hands.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Between work, kids, and honey-do's ,I go when I can..
    some days are better than others but just being on the water is my "relief" from the hussle & bussle of daily life

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares what the moon does, I don't, I just go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like most as I go fishing at every opportunity. But I do think that the moon has some effect on fishing especially during the spawn, including bait fish spawn. But the weather will trump the moon everytime.

Post Thanks / Like

As they say above, I fish when I can go. I do expect to see the peak activity to accrue on a moon phase. I watch the moon transit and expect to do my best according to moons phase and position.
    1967/68

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As with most others I go when I can, as often as I can. Sleep when you're dead, work when you have to, and run from the honey do list in between. That said, I'll tell of my brothers and my test years ago. We lived in Orlando at the time and fished all the time. We got both Florida sportsman and B.A.S.S. magazines and consulted the solunar tables in each. The FL mag hit pretty close to the times we did best. Bass mag wasn't even close. Best we could figure is it was a regional thing and planned our trips to the coast by the FL mag. Usually did pretty good when it said we would. 4 days before the full moon to 4 days after were best for us overall. That included shrimping, night fishing and daytime fishing. The best thing back then was we were both single and didn't have to run home. Sleep in the van a few hours and hit it some more. Good luck and tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I do know this on a full moon phase I do best from 10.00am to around 1:00pm. And I'm told the same is true around midnight.....but I'm too sleepy to try it then. But like most have stated go when you can and stay long as possible.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast