Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Way To Slow Down....

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Way To Slow Down....

....your jig swimming.... I have been experimenting with something new to me, would guess it's been done before, but it has been payin off. Pretty much the "do nuthing" approach, but in slo-mo. I made some small balsa wood eggs that I run my line thru and pin in place with a tooth pick. I made several different sizes of slim wood eggs to play with different sizes of jig weights. You can make a 1/8 oz. jig pretty much float thru the water like a 1/100 oz. When you pause in your retrieve, the jig just slides forward before it will slowly start to sink. I have been having good luck with twist tail and marabou jigs, paddle tail bodies need to much movement to make the tail thump right for this slow approach. Would guess it would work with tubes as well, but I don't use them much.

Here is a layout of how I rig it. If the fish are shallow and you want it to slowly sink and swim in shallow water, set the float closer to the jig and vise versa for if they are deeper.

Here is a pict of the jig that has worked the best. Have also done this with a tandem setup and caught fish on both top and bottom hooks, no true "double" yet tho......

Would also guess the floats used for walleye crawler harnesses would work just fine for this. Hope this catches some fish for you......

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the walleye floats will work the same way as the balsa wood will, and they come in different colors as well. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....I have been using the Walleye floats for that for several years now.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect description of the technique!!!! Nice lookin grub body

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Perfect description of the technique!!!! Nice lookin grub body

Fatman
    Thanx Fatman! Wish I could find some more of those bodies. Found 6 of them in the bottom of a fishing bag I haven't had out for at least 5 years. They have caught fish during the day and @ night!! I have looked through my tackle magazines from places I regularly order and 1 small shop, but haven't found something close to it yet. Anyone know what it's called/who makes it?? It's about 1.5" or 2" long. - AF

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like bass assassin curly shad crystal shad.