Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadheads

I just got a crossbow and I'm trying to decide what broadheads to shoot. With a reg bow, I use a Rage and love it. But I've heard that some mechanicals will open in flight with a crossbow. Anyone heard of this or is this just fluff.

-W-

Post Thanks / Like

just my 2 cent,
    I will never use a mech. broadhead again. To much energy is wasted to open on impact. I much prefer cut on impact. Steel force or magnus.
    Try this on your next deer and you will see what I mean. push your broadhead into a deer chest, try all 3 types. The cut on impact have no resistance and cut right through a rib. The others must bust there way through so you may not get pass through. No pass through, 50% of your blood trail is missing. It can be tough to track deer. I thought the world of muzzy until I tried to push one through a deer. A long bow archer showed me once and I was amazed. My wife shoots about 35# with like a 24 inch draw and I watched her shoot a 115Lb (on a scale no guessing) deer, the arrow did not even slow down. If you fear windy day, practice in the wind but unless you are sitting on fields the wind is not as bad in the woods. I shoot 455 grain arrows at my guess, 225fps and planing is not an issue with big blade broadheads.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waxnslabs View Post
    I just got a crossbow and I'm trying to decide what broadheads to shoot. With a reg bow, I use a Rage and love it. But I've heard that some mechanicals will open in flight with a crossbow. Anyone heard of this or is this just fluff.

-W-
    Does the broadhead stick off the end of the bow when cocked? If not, by all means shoot fixed blad heads. I shoot my mechs without the band around them and they open in flight and still fly true. (I push a little bow wax into the grooves to hold the blades until they leave the bow.)
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

hey waxnslab, 1 thing 4 sure about asking a broadhead quest is that you will get MANY different opinions the main thing in broadheads is confidence(just like your jigs on lake darbonne), in 27 years of bowhunting i have used several different types and styles,i've had sucess with all of them. This will be my 4th year with a rage 3-blade 0 problems so far I have a friend in IL that shoots them on his crossbow without any problems!