PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Gear

Downwind
09-25-2009, 03:50 PM
What do you cold weather guys prefer for fishing in the winter months? Looking for something light weight but warm. Also what type of foot wear do you use? Don't like it but it's just around the corner!

feelay
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I typically fish in the same gear I hunt in. Bib coveralls, Quad parka, Muck woody max boots. And since they are camo, and my boat is camo...No one can see me filling the boat with slabs!;)

limbhook
09-25-2009, 05:05 PM
It would make sense to dress for winter fishing like you would for winter deer hunting(just don't fall out of the boat)

kycreek
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Carharts

gabowman
09-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Bibs, coat, gloves, balanchi for the boat ride, and a HEATER!;):)

I night fish under lights during the winter.:p

sticksteer
09-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Bibs, Cabelas windshear fleece, insulated boots and gloves.

skeetbum
09-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Bibs, T-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest, choice of 3 or 4 coats depending on conditions, with hoods, Balaclava for real cold rides, and my feet are cold no matter what I do. I only fish half days when it's real cold. Oh yeah, thermos of hot coffee and a sausage biscuit. Gotta have sumthin to go on.

Ranger690
09-25-2009, 09:09 PM
A nylon rain suit is the ticket for me. A light weight one, and not a pvc. Nylon. Doesn't get stiff in the cold. The suit keep in the heat and won't let the wind steal your heat.

Unless it is about 35, I get by with long johns and lined jeans with the rain pants over them. If it is frigid, I will add a pair of sweat pants over the jeans.

Long sleeve mock T shirt, in some times cotton, some times synthetic. A loose fitting button up shirt ( I don't like too many layers jamming up against my double chin). Medium weight jacket. Then the light rain jacket. And my life jacket on top of that. I have gotten use to wearing it. And I keep it on.

Boots a little too big so they stay loose and don't constrict the blood flow.

I keep a hat on with ear flaps if I need them.

I can't fish in gloves, so I don't.

Dayton

ready2fish
09-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Arctic Armor- very light weight,rain proof and extremely warm

Crappie Reaper
09-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Bibs, T-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest, choice of 3 or 4 coats depending on conditions, with hoods, Balaclava for real cold rides, and my feet are cold no matter what I do. I only fish half days when it's real cold. Oh yeah, thermos of hot coffee and a sausage biscuit. Gotta have sumthin to go on.

You use a pair of quality wool socks, coupled with some goretex or similar style water proof boots, and your feet will never be cold again.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg198/CrappieReaper/100_3667.jpg

Pic taken in about 25 degrees if I remember right.

Downwind
09-26-2009, 09:10 AM
gabowman---you mentioned using a heater. What kind of heater do you use?

78mudbug
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
for u guys that get cold feet.let me tell u what a older man in his 70s that duck hunts with us told me to wear.put a pair of nylon dress socks on first and then a pair of wool socks on top.problem solved somehow it wicks the moisture away from the skin.and if your feet start sweating they can get very cold from not moving around.try it u will thank me.ive stood in a duck blind all day with the high never geting above freezing and feet never got cold by doing what he said

Dave Willis
09-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Hot coffee and the thermostat set on 75 degrees

skeetbum
09-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Have to get off my wallet and get some good footwear this season.

ShilohRed
09-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Artic Armor again here also. Bibs Jacket and gloves only weight in at a little over 4 lbs. And will floats 600 lbs. Also keep you warm to boot,.
Pete

Pomoxis
09-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Arctic Armor- very light weight,rain proof and extremely warm

I've been doing ALOT of reading.. Arctic armor is good. Anything cotton is BAD. If you fall in the water cotton will keep the water/moisture against your skin decreasing your survival time against hypothermia.

I'm still looking for the complete answer but early on found out about arctic armor.

The difference between hunting and fishing is nobody ever died from falling over into the woods. Cold water kills.

oh..and fish with a buddy, let folks know where you will be... I'm sure others will post more detailed info.

skeetbum
09-27-2009, 02:39 AM
oh..and fish with a buddy, let folks know where you will be... I'm sure others will post more detailed info.

Best info anyone could have. We're coming into our cold season and folks need to be aware of the length of time it takes to succumb to hypothermia. This is no joke. If you're alone and your cell is in your pocket when you go in it's a real bad deal. Even if you get out you can't call for help. Mama has put the squeeze on me about fishing in the cold this year after being down hard with double pneumonia for 2 weeks in Feb. this year. Think things out before you go. I like y'all and don't want to lose anyone .

SkeeterJeff
09-27-2009, 08:28 AM
I bought the Artic Armor for ice fishing this past winter and love it. It's money well spent IMO. You still need to layer under it, or it's cool against your single layer.

Jeff

Pomoxis
09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
A thread I started a while back with good info..
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/105851-cold-weather-fishing.html

Link for Artic Armor i.d.i gear : arctic armor ice fishing apparel (http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php)

also..if any board sponsors sell any of this gear you might buy from them first.

2 things I like about reading on arctic armor.. cold/wind protection and it floats..
1 think I'm not sure on... overkill for SC and if I'd be out fishing the week it gets that cold ;)

ready2fish
09-27-2009, 12:21 PM
A thread I started a while back with good info..
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/105851-cold-weather-fishing.html

Link for Artic Armor i.d.i gear : arctic armor ice fishing apparel (http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php)

also..if any board sponsors sell any of this gear you might buy from them first.

2 things I like about reading on arctic armor.. cold/wind protection and it floats..
1 think I'm not sure on... overkill for SC and if I'd be out fishing the week it gets that cold ;)

Last fall i was doing some research on some good warm clothing for ice fishing and this A.R. clothing always came up as being very good. Well i made up my mine what to buy but couldn't see my self spending that much money .

Now almost a year later i use it in the spring and fall for fishing, its very light weight and compared with the coast of some of the higher end clothing at cabalas its a real bargain and this stuff works...

Locator79
09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Bibs, coat, gloves, balanchi for the boat ride, and a HEATER!;):)

I night fish under lights during the winter.:p

Do you really fish at night in the winter?

STUMP HUNTER
09-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Do you really fish at night in the winter?

Dec, Jan and Feb are the best months to fish at night :)

Locator79
09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Dec, Jan and Feb are the best months to fish at night :)

Wow, learn something new everyday. I only fish at night when the weather gets hot and its uncomfortable to fish during the day. Do you set up the same in the winter, over deep water structure, or drop offs? I'm very interested now!!!:confused:

Pomoxis
09-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I guess my concern isn't as much keeping warm while fishing as it is during an emergency such as having the boat fill up or fall over.
They don't say they float but I wonder how warm these are ? Carhartt Extremes Arctic Bibs for Men (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_42098____SearchResults)

STUMP HUNTER
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Wow, learn something new everyday. I only fish at night when the weather gets hot and its uncomfortable to fish during the day. Do you set up the same in the winter, over deep water structure, or drop offs? I'm very interested now!!!:confused:

The most important thing about winter night fishing is finding the bait. You might have to look in a few coves but you have to locate the bait. Most of the time you will find bait on the deep side of drop offs in depths of 20' to 45' of water. Once you locate the bait set up about 25 yards away in the deeper water. Most of the bites will be 14' deep or deeper. I start off with rods set from 8' deep all the way to 2' from the bottom of the lake and then adjust to the depth where most of the bites are coming from. Sometimes you will be catching fish from 14 to 20' depths, so when this happens I set all the rods between these depths. I use a little more weight on my lines because of the depths, I can see the bites better with the added weight. In the winter you will catch bigger crappie, so it is worth the cold weather and ice you have to deal with. Try it this winter.:)

gabowman
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Do you really fish at night in the winter?Our winters arent quite like the ones you guys have. If the temps remain at or above 35 degrees then I'll hit the water. We do get some cold nights into the teens but I stay near the fire on those nights. Our winters are generally mild with temps around 35-40 degrees at nite usually. Water temps might get down to the low/mid 40's during the winter months.;)

gabowman
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM

The bait seems to congregate more into larger schools during the colder months. You wont find pods of shad everywhere on the lake like you would during the spring months. You gotta spend some time doing your homework locating the bait. Keeping a logbook has been very helpful knowing from winter to winter where the bait moves as the water cools off. I fish different places until I locate a spot where you catch enough fish to make you want to come back. Usually once you find that spot the fish (and bait) stay in that area until something changes and you can depend on catching fish there until it does. The bigger fish are generally caught in Feb. and early March before it warms up.;)

LunaticFringeInc
09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately all my fishing is from a kayak. That means unlike most of you I am going to get wet from the knees down and from water dribbling off the paddle as I paddle from one spot to another. Then lets not mention the fact I might have an unplanned swim:eek:. Its just part of the "Total Package". I wear dive bootys and a wet suit with a bright orange life vest and some neoprene gloves! No one plans on going in the water during the colder months but it does happen. You wont last very long in 50 degree water!!! Its not the most comfortable attire, but it does keep the chill at bay and should I go in the water it will buy me the precious few minutes I need to get back on my Yak or a short swim to the beach while I thaw out and wait for assistance.

Hanr3
09-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I winter tent camp so fishing is no problem.

The key to staying warm is layers.
Base layer- best to use a synthetic material to wick the moisture away from your body.

Mid layer- couple options here, wool is great and affordable. A thicker synthetic layer also works great.

Main layer- pants/fleece jacket

Outer layer- Parka/Bibs/etc. This layer must be water and wind proof. However it should also breath so the sweat, body moisture excapes. If it doesnt breath you will need to leave it open and stay out of the snow/rain.

Cotton kills in teh cold, it holds water and when wet retains NO heat value.

Im poor so my winter clothing is basic.
2 pair wool socks and water proof shin high rubber insulated boots. Most discount stores like Walmart sell em.

wool/cotton blend long johns and long sleeve turtle neck shirt

synthetic pants or blue jeans, wool sweatshirt or fleece jacket

Coveralls or bibs and a jacket. If mobility is an issue, just the jacket and I carry the bibs in a day pack. I also carry a spare set of socks, shirt, and pants.

Wearing cotton my number one goal is not to sweat. I take off layers while exerting energy. Bundle up when I stop and cool back down.

As for my tent, its really only a couple of tarps, one ont eh ground and one over head to keep the snow off. I use a closed cell foam ground pad, synthetic sleeping bag stuffed with a cheap fleece blanket, and covered with a wool blanket, then I wear a stocking cap and long sleeve turtle neck shirt to bed. If you wear skivies to bed, change them. The ones you wore all day are full of sweat, and that sweat will cuase the family jewels to get cold, real cold. One last thing, empty the bladder before you go to bed. It takes too much body energy to keep all the waste urine warm. Yes, I make a nightly trip to teh john in my boots and stocking cap. :D
Been camping like this for the past 15 years. Neve a problem. I do get some strange looks, however there is nothing more relaxing than snow falling in the middle of the night. You can hear every flake hit. its awesome. Sorry I digress. Growing up at 9,100 feeet you tend to learn a thing or two about camping outside, especially when there is snow on the ground 9 months of the year. :D

Now that I live in the ice belt things arent much different. Except instead of snow we get ice/snow/rain/sleet all in the same day. Chose your clothes carefully and bundle up.

Couple of other things. something like 75% of your body heat excapes through your head, wear a hat and cover the checks.
Buy a pair of shooting gloves. they have individual half fingers with a mitten that goes over the top. When you need to use your fingers, pull the mitten portion back and your fingers are half covered with gloove.
Smoking and drinking both reduce your bodies core temperature.

Locator79
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Our winters arent quite like the ones you guys have. If the temps remain at or above 35 degrees then I'll hit the water. We do get some cold nights into the teens but I stay near the fire on those nights. Our winters are generally mild with temps around 35-40 degrees at nite usually. Water temps might get down to the low/mid 40's during the winter months.;)

Thanks, for your advice. There are some of our days that I wish would reach 35-40 deg.

Locator79
09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
The most important thing about winter night fishing is finding the bait. You might have to look in a few coves but you have to locate the bait. Most of the time you will find bait on the deep side of drop offs in depths of 20' to 45' of water. Once you locate the bait set up about 25 yards away in the deeper water. Most of the bites will be 14' deep or deeper. I start off with rods set from 8' deep all the way to 2' from the bottom of the lake and then adjust to the depth where most of the bites are coming from. Sometimes you will be catching fish from 14 to 20' depths, so when this happens I set all the rods between these depths. I use a little more weight on my lines because of the depths, I can see the bites better with the added weight. In the winter you will catch bigger crappie, so it is worth the cold weather and ice you have to deal with. Try it this winter.:)

Thanks for your help. Sorry about taking the thread in different direction guys!