Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: FALL BITE is ON in West Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Default FALL BITE is ON in West Texas

Water temperature has dropped into the 68-70 degree range and the crappie were slamming the bait today. Best size and numbers of the year. Went last week and temp. was 76 degrees and the bite was erratic, so the cold front did some good. I have no idea why, but the minnow bite was way superior to the jig bite as often occurs on this particular lake. Beautiful fall day, temp. in low 60's to begin then up to 80 by lunch with no wind. Early fog, but the fishing was better when the sun burned it off. Bite was on brush at 8-11 feet in depth. They slammed the minnows, much like a bass or striper. Size was large for out here, several at 1.5 lbs. with two at 2 lbs. out of 25 limit. Not so many throwbacks today.

Good Fishing and Let the Fall Bite Continue,

Mud-Dabber
    Last edited by Mud-Dabber; 10-14-2005 at 02:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear Mud-Dabber. Saw that title with West Texas in it and just had to see the post. I grew up in Lubbock (a great place to be from, lol). Keep after them!
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    Great to hear Mud-Dabber. Saw that title with West Texas in it and just had to see the post. I grew up in Lubbock (a great place to be from, lol). Keep after them!
    Darryl, you and Mac Davis have something in common then. Rearview mirror and all.
    Know Lubbock well as I went to college there. Just wanted to say how much I have benefitted from yourself, crappiepappy and many others comments on my recent questions and everyones posts. This is a tremendous Forum.

Darryl have you heard about Lake Alan Henry (New Lake) south of Post, between Post and Snyder?? More share a lunker bass caught out of there last year than Fork with the possibility of a New State Record swimming in there as several over 19 lbs. have been electroshocked by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Bet you never thought that would happen in West Texas.
    I have been whacking them at Lake Phantom Hill outside of Abilene.
    Keep up the great posts and information. I learn from yourself and many others scattered around this great US of A on this Forum. Never to old to learn a new trick even in these muddy waters.

Great Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber
    Last edited by Mud-Dabber; 10-14-2005 at 06:01 PM. Reason: change grandpappy to crappiepappy

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, after I got out of the Marine Corps in 1988 I went to Tech too. Now look at me, I using that fancy degree to be a fishing guide. That's okay, I love doing it.

Yeah, my brother talks about Alan Henry all the time. I left Lubbock in 1991 and I'm not sure but don't think it existed yet. From what my brother tells me it sounds like a great place to fish and would be perfect for the way I fish with slipfloats. I like to sink my own brush, but I don't know how mosquite would do, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Dabber
    Darryl, you and Mac Davis have something in common then. Rearview mirror and all.
    Know Lubbock well as I went to college there. Just wanted to say how much I have benefitted from yourself, crappiepappy and many others comments on my recent questions and everyones posts. This is a tremendous Forum.

Darryl have you heard about Lake Alan Henry (New Lake) south of Post, between Post and Snyder?? More share a lunker bass caught out of there last year than Fork with the possibility of a New State Record swimming in there as several over 19 lbs. have been electroshocked by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Bet you never thought that would happen in West Texas.
    I have been whacking them at Lake Phantom Hill outside of Abilene.
    Keep up the great posts and information. I learn from yourself and many others scattered around this great US of A on this Forum. Never to old to learn a new trick even in these muddy waters.

Great Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie continue to be on a very strong bite Lake Hubbard Creek/Lake Ft. Phantom Hill. Minnows remain the bait of choice as they are reluctant on jigs of many types/colors. I had three crappie at 2 lbs. this week with limits on three trips of crappie from near a pound to 1.5 lbs. Best bite of the year for me. Depth is 8-11 feet with water temp. all week at 66-68 degrees, but we have a strong front coming thru right now (Sunday) so things may change alot this week. Cannot figure out why I cannot get them to hit the jigs as well as minnows, but I am not going to argue with them. I have enough in the freezer so now it is just for the fun of catching them and looking for that mystery crappie over 2 lbs., I am jealous of the lucky fishermen in areas that have a good chance of one over 2 lbs.
    Good Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber