Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting

How many of you Cast for Crappie and what is your favorite technique, lure size, color, time of the year, water temp, and define your preferred location, etc? What do you do when the bite turns off?

It's a Crappie forum and I have seen a lot of BS threads, plus saw one saying there isn't much new in Crappie Fishing. Im betting there is a variety of techniques being used for Casting. I am going to post the same for other forms of Crappie fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy is the man on this one. I'm sure He will chime in. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    there isn't much new in Crappie Fishing.

When it comes to casting (which I do 99% of the time), I tend to agree with that. I've been using Charlie Brewer's "do nothing" technique for over thirty years. It still works year-round and for all species.

I'm sure there are days when other methods are better, but I've always enjoyed this style of crappie fishing. It's very relaxing and productive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fichere

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    When it comes to casting (which I do 99% of the time), I tend to agree with that. I've been using Charlie Brewer's "do nothing" technique for over thirty years. It still works year-round and for all species.

I'm sure there are days when other methods are better, but I've always enjoyed this style of crappie fishing. It's very relaxing and productive.
    what is charlie's technique?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The Do-nothing Technique ...

Quote Originally Posted by fichere View Post
    ... has been tweaked time and time again, but Charlie Brewer's idea was simply .... cast out, retrieve slowly, and don't add any action to the lure.

The Charlie Brewer jighead is flattened, which helps make the lure "glide" thru the water ... his little plastic worm is small & thin, and has no built-in action of its own. His "intention", in creating this lure, was to imitate a minnow ... and the technique came from the idea that most minnows don't shake/rattle/roll :p all over the place. They normally just glide along, with subtle flicks of their tail, unless startled or attacked.

... cp

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Casting is my preferred method ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    How many of you Cast for Crappie and what is your favorite technique, lure size, color, time of the year, water temp, and define your preferred location, etc? What do you do when the bite turns off?
    ... but, I usually let the conditions/situation, or even the lake I'm fishing, dictate "how" I fish.

The majority of my casting is done using the "do-nothing" technique ... simply put : cast out, slow retrieve back, with no added action to the lure.
    Favorite lure size - 1/16oz (but will change sizes when necessary)
    Color - most all colors, with chartreuse tail.
    Time of year - Spring & Fall, mainly. (due in part to the location & depths the fish are using at these times)
    Water Temps - 60's - 70's
    Preferred Location - submerged wood

What I do, when the bite turns off : slow down even more, or fish deeper, or change locations, or add live bait to my lure selection, or switch to the pursuit of another species, or pack up and call it a day :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fichere View Post

Crappiepappy summarized it well. I would just add that the method can be used with any jig: marabou, hair, plastic, ball head, pony head, etc. It's all about the technique, not the bait itself.

Charlie's website has a very detailed article on the technique. Because of its length, I won't post it, but you can read it online here:

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company Inc. - 1-800-762-4701; 931-762-4700
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 09-25-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i fish this way also.throwing past my target and reeling very slow past it.sometimes i just cast and reel back slowly.sometimes i cast reel and tick it every now and then.sometimes cast let it sink and pull a few feet and let sink again and watch the line for a tick . u just have to figure out how they want it.one day they will want it moving constantly and the next day they will hit it on the stop or the tick or fall.its all up to the fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 78mudbug View Post
    i fish this way also.throwing past my target and reeling very slow past it.sometimes i just cast and reel back slowly.sometimes i cast reel and tick it every now and then.sometimes cast let it sink and pull a few feet and let sink again and watch the line for a tick . u just have to figure out how they want it.one day they will want it moving constantly and the next day they will hit it on the stop or the tick or fall.its all up to the fish
    Same for me. Works the year around so long as there is open water (no ice on top ).

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like good advice from most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast