Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling

How many of you Pull for Crappie and what is your favorite technique, lure size, color, time of the year, water temp, and define your preferred location, etc? What do you do when the bite turns off?

Pulling is simple fishing off the side of the boat and mounting your trolling motor on teh other side of teh boat, pulling you along, similar to trolling but slower.

It's a Crappie forum and I have seen a lot of BS threads, plus saw one saying there isn't much new in Crappie Fishing. Im betting there is a variety of techniques being used for Verical jigging. I am going to post the same for other forms of Crappie fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very effective way of catching Crappie along ledges and creek channels.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I never pull for crappie. Other species yes, crappie never. Pulling along is still trolling and nothing else.
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 09-25-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I heve heard of Pulling until I saw it on a Bill Dance episode. I have never seen it being done on the lake either.

I might have to try it out. Is this llike trolling or more like casting? Still trying to figure out how ppulling is done. Any tips.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    To be honest I heve heard of Pulling until I saw it on a Bill Dance episode. I have never seen it being done on the lake either.

I might have to try it out. Is this llike trolling or more like casting? Still trying to figure out how ppulling is done. Any tips.
    I think it is more like spider rigging but from the side. You will be tight lining more than likely with some weight above or below Your bait. the advantage to this is the spread you will get and the amount of water you can cover in one pass. the disadvantages are boat control and wind issues because You will be broadside to the wind and boat control with the fact that You are steering the boat from the middle. Not the ends where the boat will maneuver in the desired direction easier. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Even tho I spider rig most of the time I would think that pullin would have an advantage over spider riggin on windier days when boat controll is a problem.....

Set up on the upwind side of the potential fishy spot and let the wind do the work pushin the boat thru the fishy spot and just use the TM to keep the boat going in the direction you want to go....

There's just some days that are too windy for spider riggin.....

That's when pullin. longlining. or crankin would be my choice of methods to try....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like tighline drift fishing and using the troller to keep the boat straight.:o Used to do alot of that in early spring over stumps. Caught alot of fish that way.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Even tho I spider rig most of the time I would think that pullin would have an advantage over spider riggin on windier days when boat controll is a problem.....

Set up on the upwind side of the potential fishy spot and let the wind do the work pushin the boat thru the fishy spot and just use the TM to keep the boat going in the direction you want to go....

There's just some days that are too windy for spider riggin.....

That's when pullin. longlining. or crankin would be my choice of methods to try....
    This was my first thought too. Might be great on windy days. I spend a lot of time fighting the wind.

Spider rigging isnt really an issue in Illinois. 2 pole limit per person, with 2 hooks on each pole.
    HOI Crappie Club