Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical Jigging

How many of you vertical jig for Crappie and what is your favorite technique, lure size, color, time of the year, water temp, and define your preferred location, etc? What do you do when the bite turns off?

It's a Crappie forum and I have seen a lot of BS threads, plus saw one saying there isn't much new in Crappie Fishing. Im betting there is a variety of techniques being used for Verical jigging. I am going to post the same for other forms of Crappie fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I seldom fish over 10' water. Most of the time it's 4 to 8' water depth. Consintrate on stumps or man made cover. I only use 1/8 oz leadheads inside a 2'' Umbrella Tube bait.Perferred colors pink/white, silver/white, or any color/chartruse. My pole of choice is a 12' Buck's graphite jig pole.
    The way I fish is to keep in contact with jig , thats the reason for using heavy baits. I can feel the structure better and can shake the heavier jig loose easier when it hangs.
    I fish same way about all year only change depths with water temps. When fishing gets tough like after a front passes, I try to bump the tight cover close to the bottom in 8' or deeper water alot.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i fish water depths similar to NIMROD. I fish with a BnM sharpshooter. 5 1/2 feet long with a 1/16th ounce jig and a 1/4 ounce rubber core sinker above the jig about 15 inches up the line. If You get hung, You just give a little slack and then shake the rod tip like crazy and 9 times out of 10, the jig pops loose. Don't pull hard when You get hung. That will set the hook into the brush. Only thing You can do then is break off and retie. I use 4 pound test because it is easy to break off a hung jig. jigs are cheap and having a reel with a good drag, keeps the big ones from breaking off. Learn to tie a knot fast. practice when Your not doing anything at home. Then You can tie on a jig in ten seconds and loose little time on the water.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking While I don't do "vertical jigging" ....

... in the normal sense of the term :

I do "Vertical Cast" in many of the same types of places (cover) where others do use the vertical jigging technique ... standing timber / blowdowns / dock posts / concrete bridge pilings.

Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting

I think the article covers most all of the questions presented.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Vertical jigging is what i do atleast 75% of the time. All depths of water 1/32 to 1/4 ounze jigheads. I use slabbusters[plastics] I do it all year long.

Post Thanks / Like

I vertical jig only when the crappie are 20ft or deeper. Rest of the time I use a slip bobber setup. Anchored over the top of the fish.
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I vertical jig most of the time with as small of a jig that wind and depth will allow. I fish on structure in depths of 25 to 30 ft deep. About the only time that I don’t vertical jig is when the crappies are close to the surface in mid summer, hot weather. At those times I like to hold back from the school, cast overtop and let the jig drop into the school.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips.

Although why wouldnt you use a light weight hook, that way when it gets hung up you can pull it straight and free? Then bend it back into shape and continue fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    Great tips.

Although why wouldnt you use a light weight hook, that way when it gets hung up you can pull it straight and free? Then bend it back into shape and continue fishing.
    I use light line, more bites and sinks faster. I for sure don't want to move the brush and spook the fish.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I use light line, more bites and sinks faster. I for sure don't want to move the brush and spook the fish.
    I too use light line- 4 pound, and a thin hook. This way the hook straightens out most of the time and I dont lose anything or move the brush pile.
    HOI Crappie Club

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast