Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a Nickles worth of advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a Nickles worth of advice

I bought a trolling motor on Ebay that mounts to my main motor. It's a Min Kota EM54. It was advertised as being a 12V trolling motor. There was no mention of damage or cut wires..etc..nor was either apparent in the pictures..

So...the big brown truck delivered it today. the driver asked me what it was because "it was bouncing around inside the box and made a hole in the side".

I opened the box:
    1. Main wires from the main box to the motor had been cut (large gauge wire.probably larger than 10gauge).
    2. The propeller has 2 "dings" in the trailing edge of the prop apparently due to being improperly packaged for shipping.
    3. The unit is apparently 24V. I contacted Min Kota service who sent me a 2 page doc showing the parts list and installation notes. the EM54 is ONLY shown to run on 24V.

I sent an email to the selller detailing these three items..

I've already spent $165 for a trolling battery, battery box,...etc

My options seem to be:
    1. come up with another $100++ for another matching battery/box, somehow fix the wires and ignore the dings in the prop.
    2. work something out with the seller.. no clue what..
    3. Return it/file claim with paypal/ebay.

looking for thoughts, opinions, comments..

I'm not real experienced at this so I was not prepared for all this.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Doesn't sound right.

The first thing I would do is take the unit to your police dept. and ask them to forward the information to his police dept.
    That unit was probably removed in a hurry in darkness. No reasonable person just starts slashing wires .
    It never hurts to ask the seller what is going on but sounds fishy. Illinoisgiller

Post Thanks / Like

#3 is what I would do.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree first check to see if it stolen
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

I would return it. Something sounds fishy (no pun intended). Don't know seller BUT, cut power cord, doesn't know how many volts, damage,etc. Could be a borrowed motor from someone's boat. That's my 1 cent worth of advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it could be a stolen TM to me. If the person actually used it, I would think he would have taken better care to package it.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact the seller first...If the seller is powerseller...it is likely he will work with you. I've gotten stuff before...and if the seller is someone who really is using ebay as a legit channel...he'll probably work with you. If he isn't, and if he is an honest person he may still take it back. You'll likely have to eat the shipping.

If seller is uncooperative then file with Paypal/Ebay. If you try without contacting the seller eBay will just tell you to contact seller.

I wouldn't try to fix it until I exhausted the other possibilities. Let us know how it turns out....Also my brother has a fishing tackle operation and operates a power seller store on eBay. Check him out at eBay Store - World Class Lures: A.C. Squid

I can ask him if what he thinks if you'd like...

I also like Illinoisgiller's approach too...if seller doesn't respond call the law...

Sorry man...that's a bum deal...hope it works out...
    bob

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know how much you lost already,unless you mean 165.00.
    put that stuff aside & call it a lesson learned.
    ask around & find the right way to do it
    now do it over, but the right way
    not being smart
    just sayin you made a mistake
    love ya brother & hope all turnes out well

Post Thanks / Like

After you exhuast the recommended advice and if you still have the trolling motor.

The wires are easy to fix, you can always splice on some more wire.
    Pick up another battery and battery box.
    Be happy you accidently bought a stronger trolling motor. :D

and in the future, only buy from seller with 100% or close to it rating. :D
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-24-2009 at 07:33 AM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwbuilding View Post
    i don't know how much you lost already,unless you mean 165.00.
    put that stuff aside & call it a lesson learned.
    ask around & find the right way to do it
    now do it over, but the right way
    not being smart
    just sayin you made a mistake
    love ya brother & hope all turnes out well
    yep, no worries, I'll never ask a question unless I'm ready for answers I may or may not like

Story I have so far is the seller is a power seller but is selling it for someone else. I've sent him a mail via eBay. If the trolling motor is stolen it's possible the seller didn't know. That would explain why he didn't know the right stats. Doesn't explain the packing job. I talked with him the day he shipped it and he sounded ok.

I have faith that no matter what it will be ok. If it's stolen I definitely want to get it back where it belongs.

anyone know Annetteshockey by chance?
    Positive FeedBack 97.9%
    Feedback score: 190

I'll post back as I find out what's up. I don't think folks get that kind of rating doing wrong so it's probably just a fluke.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast