Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Leatherwood - slow but promising...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Leatherwood - slow but promising...

I have only fished this lake about 3 times and up until today it had been about 10 years since I had wet a hook in it. Open dawn to dusk, it's 80 acres of mostly shallow water with a good chunk of that devoted to lily pads and aquatic weeds. It is owned by the City of Eureka Springs. Fees are two bucks to launch your boat (no wake) and two dollars a head to fish.
    I spent most of the day on this scenic lake, mainly on the lower end near the quarried limestone dam where the water depth reaches a respectable 38 feet or so. Caught 3 crappie late in the day after clouds moved in and breezy conditions put a little chop on what had been a mirror-surfaced lake. I'm already planning another trip to Leatherwood as I know there are good size crappies in this lake and after spending a day there I have an idea as to where they are. Was a fun day and the Ozarks weather was terrific (probably a little too much sunshine for the fish). What little action I stirred up today came with a red-head jig, chartreuse and black tail, tipped with minnows. I almost always take my digital camera when fishing so here's a few pictures of this nice little lake (if I remember how to post them correctly). Most of the day there was only one other boat on the lake, barely visible in the dam picture.

Last edited by Hookem; 10-13-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful lake, Hookem. I see you didn't have any problems posting the pics. My favorite lakes in AR are Nimrod and Blue Mountain, I've had many a good day fishing them for virtually 14 years. I'd be willing to bet you can hear turkeys gobbling all over the lake. Music to my ears. Good luck unlocking the crappie mystery, it's half of the fun....... :D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hookem, Please let me know how you did! I have been wanting to fish that lake for a while now. It is a beutiful lake and a lot shallower than Beaver! Maybe it will be easier to find crappie! LOL
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

J.T. I’ll certainly let you know how things go at Leatherwood. I think a breezy day will be best there. I kept thinking the other day that it would nice to fish it at night with a crappie light, but it closes at dusk. Operator of the dock says the lake is also very good for large red ear. Meantime, ventured out on Beaver Lake again and Child Bride caught our only crappie. She always takes her clothes line with her to use as a stringer. .

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Leatherwood yesterday and the only place I could catch crappie was up near the spillway. They were on the bottom in about 35' of water. We caught 15 or so but only 7 kept. I wasn't real impressed with it. It has no cover, natural or man made in it other then lilys and hydrilla. Locals said it was a tough day though so I may try again. Very beutiful lake! Keep me updated hookem if you try it again.
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper