Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoooohoooo, Mr. Feeeeeellllaaaay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yoooohoooo, Mr. Feeeeeellllaaaay

Bass Fishing Forums - Humminbird 777c

777c2 :: Humminbird

I don't know dip about this unit, but the specs on the FF portion look pretty good. Hurry up, Jeepster is getting impatient.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still leaning toward an HDS-5, but have been looking at the HB's as well. Kinda skeered of all of 'em. Lowrances- water/cs issues, HB- gps/cs issues. What's a fella to do? Ifn ya wanna-be (pun intended) helpfull, find someone to buy my barely used motorguide hand control 70#. Also, I really prefer a unit with internal antennae.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Dadgummit, you about like Bigger. You know that? Try and help a fella out and he goes and gets all specific on me.

Here's my take on HB/Lowrance/Garmin

HB - SI is the only game right now and when Lowrance comes out with it in November, it'll still be the cheapest SI. Their traditional 2D does not suit me, I believe Lowrance's target seperation and color presentation is superior. The GPS issue, as I understand it, only exists in the SI units. From what I've read, the other non-SI units are actually quite good.

Lowrance - My pick, even with the cust svc issue. 2D is state of the art as far as I'm concerned and the GPS is about as good as can be had, plus the mapping options are limitless (there's even a free high detail map downloadable of Butla BTW).

Garmin - their 2D FF flat out surcs.....well, truth be told, I've not seen one of their high end units operate, but the 178 I had was basically a bottom locator. GPS - top shelf and the best available. But, because of the 2d funtion (or lack thereof), not even a consideration for me.

OK, so......if you go with the HDS5, you'll get a 2 year warranty......a man bent on Lowrance might even consider purchasing an extended warranty for $ protection. But the real trouble comes in when it takes 8 weeks to get a replacement - see DD's example. So, given their slow service, I'd have a backup unit available, such as keeping your old unit to get by in a pinch. Haven't heard of any water intrustion problems with the HDs yet, but have heard of some crashes and other oddities. Truth be told, most of the water intrusion stuff I've read has been specifically with 520 series and older. The larger LCX units seem to have held up well.

Oh well, I'll keep sniffing around and see if I can come up with something for ya.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post

Lowrance - My pick, even with the cust svc issue. 2D is state of the art as far as I'm concerned and the GPS is about as good as can be had, plus the mapping options are limitless (there's even a free high detail map downloadable of Butla BTW).
    I've got a Lowrance hand held, what do you have to buy to get the downloaded map from the 'puter to the gps? I'm assuming either some special cable or some drive for writing to the sds cards (then you would also have to purchase a blank card?). And what does all this run?
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I'm kinda leaning towards an HB 788ci with navionics bundle. Can anyone tell me how you can find out what lakes are on the navionics? 'Butla specifically.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Default HD Map

Fillet here is a link to the list. Believe me when I tell you only the HD maps are worth worrying about.
    Just my opinion but I have bought both and here is what I found. Do not buy the bundle. Buy the unit and add the navoincs card. You get more HD maps that way.
    Yep Arkabutla on the HD list and I guarantee you will be happy with the map.

http://www.navionics.com/HMPremium09...asp?RegionID=2

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean when you say " HD maps "? Are you saying to get the lowrance Hds unit? I looked at the navionics link and there was no mention of HD maps. Gold or platinum.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Default HD Map

Navionics Exclusive HD Lake Maps
    (High-Definition Surveys)

Click on Lakes
    Click on North America on Map
    Click on S for south region
    Lakes in red are HD maps. (means they show the 1' topo lines)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks! First time I opened the link, it was a completely different page?
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

True dat Feelay. Skip the bundle and get the card.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast