Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: deep water colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default deep water colors

What is your favorite color for winter crappie? Always heard that blue shows up the best in deep water. Just curious to know what works best for you guys.
    Last edited by greenlantern; 09-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenlantern View Post
    What is your favorite color for winter crappie? Always heard that blue shows up the best in deep water. Just curious to know what works best for you guys.
    Generally, I use darker colors in deeper water unless the lake is clear, then I still use darker colors, they are just not as dark. There are so many factors to take into consideration when choosing a color, depending on the lake, the amount of light penetrating the water, water color, time of day as well as time of year. Then you have to look at overcast or sunny days, to fine tune the color selection.

For me I wait until I get to the lake to even make a jig color selection.

Darin C.
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

The main reason that I started tying my own jigs was because I could not find anyone that sold purple jigs. When I used to bass fish, our best lure was a purple worm that we fished almost on the bottom whatever the depth. I bought some purple kiptails, purple chenille and purple paint. Any time I am fishing deeper , murkey waters I try to use my purple jigs and normally do very good.