Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Lite Pole - Input needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultra Lite Pole - Input needed

Hey everyone

Since I know we all are an opinionated bunch, I figured I'd shoot the question out to the pros! I'm looking for an Ultralite Rod/Reel combo (finally). Just curious what everyone thinks would be a good choice!

Not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Looking for a 5 - 7 footer.
    Gonna be shore fishing with it for now as I don't have a boat!

Let me hear 'em!
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Post Thanks / Like

There are loads of good UL combos on the market, any one of which would be fine for crappie/bluegill.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    There are loads of good UL combos on the market, any one of which would be fine for crappie/bluegill.
    I agree. You view my video yet? Music selected just for you.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    You view my video yet? Music selected just for you.

I just watched it and responded in that thread.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For a good ultra light pole without breaking the bank I would recomend a Berkly Cherrywood rod. They are around 20 bucks at Walmart. For the reel...a ABU Garcia C 101.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod suggestion

I tell you what, I am sold on ugly stick, and they aren't too expensive. Another good thing about them is that they break down for easy transportation, and you can get anything from a short to a long one (don't want to sound uneducated on the sizes, but I own 9 different ugly sticks and about 100 fishing rods...don't know the exact sizes on them.)
    The ugly stick is extremely sensitive to the bite with enough backbone in them to pull down the tree you get snagged in.

That's just my opinion...and you can take it, or tie it to a rock and throw it in the lake...

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that very few ultralights have the backbone I desire. I usually find that the ML, or medium light rods have just the right tip for throwing small jigs, yet have the backbone to handle the bigger crappie.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Ugly Stick Light Pro in ultra light action. Can usually find them at Wally world in both 5' and 7' lengths. As far as the reel I like the Pflueger President 6720 but there are a lot of cheaper reels that would do fine just make sure it has some kind of instant anti reverse on it. If it doesn't it aint worth it even if it's free.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to be fishing from the bank, you might want to consider something in the 8 to 9 foot length. Bass Pro has float and fly rods in 7 to 10 foot lengths. These are reasonably priced, and very effective for getting your bait out there. Whatever rod you get, buy the best real you can afford.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I've found that very few ultralights have the backbone I desire. I usually find that the ML, or medium light rods have just the right tip for throwing small jigs, yet have the backbone to handle the bigger crappie.

Good point. I like UL and light rods for what I do, but the main thing is to find a rod that suits you. There are lots of different rod actions out there, and one company's "light" is another company's UL.

I was at Bass Pro this weekend and was looking at two 5' UL rods: a Loomis and a BP Microlite. Although both were listed as UL, the Loomis had a much softer action (and cost $140 more.)

Once you determine your budget, just handle a bunch of rods till you find one you like.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast