Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using circle hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone using circle hooks?

Hi yall! Haven't been around for a while. I was attacked by life and it almost won Anyway, does anyone use circle hooks? If so how are u using them? What style and brand? I use them often for catfish and saltwater fishing, but have not tried them for crappie? Do you let them hook themselves or do you use a "reel down" or "slow sweep" hook set? Tried to do a search but couldn't find much.

Post Thanks / Like

I use light wire circle hooks for slow trolling minnows. Just have to remember to let the fish pretty well hook themselves. Most of my friends aren't sold on them, but I like em.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried them for crappie. Circle hooks are designed to hook a fish in the side of the mouth. You want to hook a crappie in the top of the mouth if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them on jugs. With other hooks, I'd watch the jug bounce. By the time I got to the jug, the fish was gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use circle hooks for catfishing but I prefer gold J hooks for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched crappie take a jig so softly that it is not felt, chew the jig for about 2 or 3 seconds and then spit it out. All completely unknown to the fisherman. The circle hook works if the fish takes the bait and turns to swim away but if the fish does not move, just chews a few times, the circle hook will miss over 80% of the time. I have found that the standard jig hook is more effective if I bend the hook to create an offset point. We fish with the lightest tackle that we can find, no crappie nibbles, no minnows or worms, and no bobbers. Simple but effective.

If the circle hook works for you then use them, they just don't work for me.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never tried 'em for crappie. As stated. more bites that I get are on the light side (except during the spawn I think). I like truturn hooks. I get more hook sets in the roof of their mouths with these hooks.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use them only for trolling---work good for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of using them for trolling. Was thinking the movement of the boat/jig/fish swimming away would be enough to "cam" the hook into the fish. I often troll at night and miss quite a few more fish than I catch due to limited visibility. I don't typical see the rod move until the rod is down and by the time I can get to it the fish will be gone. I use small light sticks attached to the rod tips but you still can't see the line. I know I am missing a lot of fish. Just trying to catch a few more.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard they work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast