Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead fish smell in fridge!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dead fish smell in fridge!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!! my uncle left fish in his travel trailer fridge. the power went out and he didnt catch it. then forgot about putting the fish in the fridge. they were in there about 2 months. it was sickening. i have been working on it for a couple of weeks. i have the smell gone from the carpet , furniture , and drapes. the fridge is a lot better than it was but you can still smell it when you open the door. i have tried everything i can think of and cant get the smell out of the fridge. has anyone ever had this happen to them? what should i use to get the smell out? i was planning on taking the travel trailer to the lake wednesday next week. anyone have any idea's?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When deodorizing a trailer(I drive truck) we use coffee grounds thrown liberally thru the trailer. Works for us. Scattered works better than containers, leave em as long as you can. We have to sweep before loading.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it'll help, but my father-in-law works in pest control and we once had a dead rat in a burrow under the porch. He told me to get oil of wintergreen from the pharmacy and soak some cotton balls and drop them in. Again, I don't know if it eliminated the odor or just covered it up. Before I got a chance to get some, I guess it dried up and the smell went away. I know lemon juice is supposed to be good for cleaning as well if you haven't tried it. Or maybe you could always rent a trailer! Good luck with it either way!

Post Thanks / Like

The son of a former boss had a similar problem. The fridge had to be removed and replaced. The fridge has sprayed urethane on the outside for insulation and the stink permeated the foam. Good Luck!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i asked my ex wife one time while we were married to unplug an extension cord for me in the garage, she didnt look and unplugged the one to the freezer. Needless to say several days later when the whole house started stinking, I found the source. Any wonder why she is my ex wife, lol. just kidding but I got the smell out somehow, i just cant remember how now. Have you tried getting some very hott water in there? try letting some hot water soak in there for a while with some pinesol and a few real lemons squeezed in.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for a product called Odoban it will take care of it. I had some shad guts in our freezer of our camper. Got home and forgot about them. 2 weeks later it was rough.
    Took a 2 gallon sprayer and sprayed the whole camper down. Smell is gone Its the best stuff I have ever seen.
    I have been using it for around 8 years. Left minnows 2 lbs of them in the bait tank a few years ago. Some how the tank got drained. All summer they were in that tank. I sprayed it in there and smell gone.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pet store, activated charcoal for aquariums. set in dish and put in frige. Also, from the appliance parts store, they carry a "one drop does it" odor neutralizer thingy.

I'd try spraying the frige down with bleach and water solution first, and clean out the drip pan. The one that catches the water from the defrost cycle.

Be sure to clean the tube that drains down to it as well.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Baking soda will absorb the odor also. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

bakin soda. just cut the top off the box and let it set 2 days. same thing when you get a car where a cat has sprayed in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I went charter boat fishing and had several pounds of Salmon in the freezer/fridge. Flew home to get married and turned the power off to teh apartment to save costs. Needless to say my new bride discovered my error. She used bleach and a lot of elow grease to get the smell out.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast