Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cheap homemade rod holder rack for pulling from the back

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap homemade rod holder rack for pulling from the back

I saw a guy at a local lake that had a real simple setup using a 1X6, two eye bolts, two washers, and two wing nuts. He had the curved end of the eye bolts hooked under his rear cleats with the straight end run up through holes drilled in the 1x6 and tightened down with the wing nuts, then he had 4 rod holders screwed into the 1x6 spaced about 2 feet apart.

My rear cleats are too far back to do this on my boat without the board interfering with trimming the motor so I came up with my own version. I got a 4x4 and cut two 6 and 1/2 inch lengths. I bored one 1 and 1/2 inch diameter hole about 4 inches deep into the end of each length of 4x4 and used 4 and 1/2 inch heavy duty screws to attach them to the deck of my boat. They had a little wiggle to them so I bored another smaller hole in each and added a second screw, now they are solid and don't give at all when you pull on them. then i ran a 2x4 across the top of them and attached my rod holders to thew 2x4. Here are some picks.

Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 18735
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 31118
Size:  24.5 KB
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigKyd View Post
    I saw a guy at a local lake that had a real simple setup using a 1X6, two eye bolts, two washers, and two wing nuts. He had the curved end of the eye bolts hooked under his rear cleats with the straight end run up through holes drilled in the 1x6 and tightened down with the wing nuts, then he had 4 rod holders screwed into the 1x6 spaced about 2 feet apart.

My rear cleats are too far back to do this on my boat without the board interfering with trimming the motor so I came up with my own version. I got a 4x4 and cut two 6 and 1/2 inch lengths. I bored one 1 and 1/2 inch diameter hole about 4 inches deep into the end of each length of 4x4 and used 4 and 1/2 inch heavy duty screws to attach them to the deck of my boat. They had a little wiggle to them so I bored another smaller hole in each and added a second screw, now they are solid and don't give at all when you pull on them. then i ran a 2x4 across the top of them and attached my rod holders to thew 2x4. Here are some picks.

Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 18735
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 31118
Size:  24.5 KB
    Or you could get one of these for $78. I don't know how much you have in that rig, but I bet if you bought the holders then they were around 10-15 dollars each and the wood was probably 10 bucks. You probably got 50 bucks in that. for another 28 you could buy the hitek and have something that is neat and removable. I'm not being critical by any means. I'm just speaking from experience. I wish i had all the money i've blown over the years on trying to go cheap the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah me too

Looks very nicely done BigKyd.You done real good....I'll be building something similar shortly. I've worked in product development, I have a fully equipped machineshop including ability to cast nonferrous metals..I know Hitech makes a fine rod holder but rodholders are braindead simple and would be satisfying to design / buildyour own, why leave the fun to somebody else..and It aint about money..Presently I am making for myself rod holders to hold rods during transport.

Post Thanks / Like

nice job BigKyd looks good.
    Live and Learn."Life's short fish Hard"

Post Thanks / Like

Alpha, I'd love to see your transport rig when you get it done and if you're nice to me, I might even let you have some extra joy and build me some.

I need something fierce, but can't seem to find what I want commercially.

Oh, good job Kyd.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.