PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Crappie is THIS???

TomCat3367
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
You never know what will hit a 1/8th oz jig. My fishin buddy never had any idea what was about to happen when he set the hook. He was expecting another keeper crappie but not this!:eek: It took both of us to get him in the boat and by the way, does anyone know how to get the slime out of the carpet?:confused:

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac192/TomCat3367/MyFish-09/th_utf-8BVW5uYW1lZC5qcGc-1.jpg

feelay
09-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Need to come up with a better picture for proper identification. But, from the size and shape, and comment on slime and such, I would guess silver carp.

TomCat3367
09-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Sorry about the picture quality but it was at night and my wife used her phone camera. I was just curious if anyone else had set the hook on what they thought was a crappie and got themselves into a battle. I never would have imagined that you could land a big blue cat on such light gear.

Huck Finn
09-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the site Tomcat. Looks like a dandy catfish, WTG!! As far as the slime, a bucket of soap n water and some elbow grease should take care of it.

skiptomylu
09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Didn't notice you are new with only 2 post so.....
32051 From Toledo Bend Texas!

Funny with the slim thing, but that just comes with them kitties. Cats will hit a jig for sure and I caught my share of them jig fishing.

At any rate I bet that was a bunch of fun huh?

Skip

sac-a-lait
09-16-2009, 03:51 PM
i catch MONSTER stripers and flathead cats all the time on those horse-head jigs slow trolled...Then again I do use 12 pound test and real Bass reals, not those junkie crappie reels. Hard to land a big fish without a drag.

gabowman
09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
That had to be alot of fun! Congrats.:)

TomCat3367
09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the replys and welcome! We use quality equipment and that probably was what made it possible to land it. I am new to Crappie fishing as I was a devoted b-bass guy. It does give me an excuse to "re-stock" with all new equipment and lures. That is what I am telling my lovely wife and I am sticking to it. At least for now or until she reads this thread.

baptistpreach
09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
So, how big was he???

unknown 5
09-17-2009, 07:27 AM
I catch a number of channel cats, up to 14-15 pounds each, on crappie poles. Like the fellow said, you need a reel with a good drag. They are lots of fun on a crappie pole, you have to play them.

JBledsoe
09-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Thank you for the replys and welcome! We use quality equipment and that probably was what made it possible to land it. I am new to Crappie fishing as I was a devoted b-bass guy. It does give me an excuse to "re-stock" with all new equipment and lures. That is what I am telling my lovely wife and I am sticking to it. At least for now or until she reads this thread.

"Re-stocking" is a little more expensive at my house, we have to buy two of everything and a spare. The lovely wife is just as "hooked" on catching crappie as I am. And we don't go with out spare equipment.

STUMP HUNTER
09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the board. You never know what's about to take your bait :) Sure does keep fishing interesting!!!:D

Pomoxis
09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
welcome to CDC from Sc.. picture is kind of hard to see. Kind of big for a crappie tho.

crappieseeker
09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
TomCat, i have caught many good size catfish on ultralight tackle while crappie fishing. One area I use to fish sometimes I would catch as many cats as i would crappie. I couldnt catch a cat if i was fishing for them. My biggest catch was a 60 pound carp on 4lb hi vis gold stren line. Use to hang in to alot of those in one area as well. I dont get to fish hardly ever anymore, I miss it. Good luck and welcome aboard

TomCat3367
09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
The Berkly electronic scales had it over 20lbs but it blinked "00" indicating over limit of the scales. They were not my scales so I am guessing 20lb limit on them as my buddy has weighed 18 and 19 lb strippers on them. I am still amazed that he could even get it in.
Thank everyone for your responses and welcome as it is good to hear from friendly people again. That is something that is lacking on some of the other forums.

bchappell
09-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Spoonbill is what it looks like to me.

Fatman
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
First nice Cat!!!!!!!!!!! Second welcome to the boards from Vermont!!!!!!!

Fatman

DKR
09-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Welcome from SC nice kitty fish.

rnvinc
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
west ky says hey ya'll...

creekslick
09-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Looks like a slimy one to me.:eek::D

Big Crappie 2
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
NICE CAT AND WELCOME FROM TARHEEL COUNTRY!!

Arkie John
09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, buddy! Looks like you have some nice eatin' there.

aj

TomCat3367
09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. I did get quite a lot of fillets out of this guy. If you have any good recipies for catfish and crappie I would be thankful. The worst thing to do is to invite friends over for fish and give them food poisning! It is gong to be good to hear some of all of your good crappie reports across the country. We are blessed here in my part of Texas to have some tremendous crappie and generally great fishing lakes. Anyone wanting to visit I will be glad to take um out and do my best to put them on some slabs.

Remember; "It is not what your fishin for, Its WHO your fishin with that matters"

Blackhawk19
09-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice Kitty, welcome from East LA(Eastern Lower Alabama)

CrappiePappy
09-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. I did get quite a lot of fillets out of this guy. If you have any good recipies for catfish and crappie I would be thankful. The worst thing to do is to invite friends over for fish and give them food poisning! It is gong to be good to hear some of all of your good crappie reports across the country. We are blessed here in my part of Texas to have some tremendous crappie and generally great fishing lakes. Anyone wanting to visit I will be glad to take um out and do my best to put them on some slabs.

Remember; "It is not what your fishin for, Its WHO your fishin with that matters"

Check out the "Cooking Crappie" forum, for some tasty ideas ;)
Cooking Crappie isn't the only thing talked about on that forum ... lots of other foodstuffs, too.

... cp :cool:

J.E.Clayton
09-19-2009, 04:24 AM

welcome tomcat I do alot of fishing for crappie, cat, and spoonbill. from looks of the fish it is a spoonbill (aka paddle fish).

crappyman
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Like my wife said great advertisement for line and pole. What size line were you using.

Darin

TomCat3367
09-19-2009, 01:58 PM
It was 10 lb. trans-optic. The Rod was a Pro Angler 8 ft. with a cork handle. The reel was a Browning Citori 6.3 to 1. I think that is why it was possible. No add, just facts.
TO