Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Putting out structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting out structure

Which do you perfer Pvc or brush? And will the fish adapt to quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sliles View Post
    Which do you perfer Pvc or brush? And will the fish adapt to quicker.
    I have 3 PVC piles and 5 brush piles and I like brush better and have been experimenting with Cedar, Willow, and Hickory. So far the brush has worked far better in attracting and holding fish even though the PVC has been in longer. Since I use trees I am making the piles a lot larger than the PVC structure so that may have something to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I got about 80 brush 20 pvc and the cedar trees work the best, I have fished stake beds on LOZ and they are hard wood and they are real good,
    I catch fish off my pvc but not often and I fish them a lot. good luck which ever you decide.

one more thing, if you put them in the river channell be sure to use lots of blocks,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I got about 80 brush 20 pvc and the cedar trees work the best, I have fished stake beds on LOZ and they are hard wood and they are real good,
    I catch fish off my pvc but not often and I fish them a lot. good luck which ever you decide.

one more thing, if you put them in the river channell be sure to use lots of blocks,
    80 Brush piles?! How long have you been laying brush piles down. Man, you must not ever have a problem finding a fishing spot.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Default piles

like piles of brush better but use pvc to because the beaver dont eat the pvc have not yet anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer brush. Guess I'm reluctant to put plastic in my lakes. The key to brush piles is the density of the limbs. More limbs=better cover. I use cedars primarily, but cypress, hedge and pin oaks work good too. Another thing to consider is how long the trees last. Christmas trees are short-term...less than a year. The ones I mentioned will still be there when I'm dead and gone. We used a lot cypress trees at Smithville that Smithville Marine donated. The crappie were on them in a few days. Cedars are populated quickly as well despite rumors that the needles have to fall off first. One tip. Don't cut your trees until you are ready to sink them. The longer they are on the ground the more weight it takes to sink them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Mofish

Again for you insight, I am currently building lots of stake beds and using mostly oak, I just can't get in my mind why crappie on Truman lake would go to pvc when there is so much natural wood in the lake, now a pond or something like LOZ I can see it, the old cedars still standing in Truman are still producing lots of Crappie and have been since the day she opened...... now I agree the sunken ones have a very short life span, oak will last much longer and your cypress sounds pretty good, just don't have any avaliable.... Now the cedars sunk by the MDC will have a fair life span, but only because they put out a pile and a half when they do it, I have several located on my gps and some are still too high in the water they need to fall down a little before they are good, they put them in April and they are producing some crappie already......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apkape View Post
    80 Brush piles?! How long have you been laying brush piles down. Man, you must not ever have a problem finding a fishing spot.
    I can put you on fish any day any time on stockton, from point 7 south, but the fish dont always coperate with the fisherman, having said that I will say this, fall is going to be great on stockton when you can catch 50 to 100 crappie in one area and they weigh 8 to 12 oz. and are only 9 and 3/4 in long they are feeding well and will grow longer and soon, oh on the 80 brush piles I have 184 marked mine and who ever else put them in, and I dont mind sharing as long as I dont get run off my spots if someone else is on them and I stop in and fish and visit a bit, later man

crappie up

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion willows will draw fish about as quick as anything but won't last long. Tournament bass guys looking for a fish attractor right before an event will use willows. They will hold crappie also. But few weeks or months and they seem to be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Thank you for taking time and explaining it.