Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally found some Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally found some Crappie

My truck had been out of commision for about three months and I have not had a chance to go fishing much, except when a buddy would feel sorry for me and hook my boat up to his truck. :D

Anyway, I've been 3 times in the last week and hadn't found any. None at all. I had been fishing in 10-18 feet in the creek channels and mouths so I decided to try a deep hole that usually holds fish in the winter. After about two hours with no luck, I trolled over to a dock that was in about 15 feet of water at the end of the dock. I got a couple of nibbles but they seemed more like a bream bite. After about 30 minutes I was ready to head back to the house, but gave the end of the dock one more try. BAM!, an 11" Crappie. A few minutes later, a 12" followed by another 12". I missed about 3 or 4 more. It was getting dark and my nav lights weren't working so I had to head on home.

Going back today, though, with thoughts of a limit of 12" Crappie.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you know, those crappie might be UNDER the dock when the sun is up. Try to shoot a jig under there, or float a minnow under there somehow. You never know.

Good luck
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David. The dock is a two-bay set-up with narrow walkways on each side and in the middle. It's not really a hard dock to get under. I tried that first but the fish I caught were about 2 feet out in the front of the dock. It may have been because a huge bluff was blocking the evening sun. This evening I will try to get some jigs in there and see how they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you caught some!!It will get better Quick now-cooler nights will have em puttin on the feedbags!!Been having most my luck fishing wood in 10-20 ft of water.Good Luck!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS BOWERS
    Glad you caught some!!It will get better Quick now-cooler nights will have em puttin on the feedbags!!Been having most my luck fishing wood in 10-20 ft of water.Good Luck!!
    I went back to the same spot yesterday. Took my older brother with me (he only goes after I find them.) Within 2 minutes he pulls out a nice 12" Crappie. Right after that, they started pulling water through the dam. Must've gave the fish lockjaw. Fished another 2 hours without catching another fish.

Oh, well. I think I'll go back today. A bad day fishing is better thatn a good day at work. :D
    Last edited by SweetHomeAlabama; 10-12-2005 at 11:31 AM.