PDA

View Full Version : catching and moving fish

beagle man
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
After reading J.Js. post on the big fish and remarking on some fish being caught and moved, Is it possible to move crappie and they hold where you put them or are they like other creatures in nature, they will come back to the area where they were raised. I seen on T.V. where they tagged some fish and they released them in a different spot from where they were caught and within a day or two the tracking people found the tagged fish back where they were caught, anybody else have and thoughts on this.

Pole Bender
09-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I have no idea never tried to move any I either eat em or release them. Interesting question though but why not leave them where they are and just return to that spot to catch them again?

olesilverside
09-13-2009, 09:51 PM
to another spot, but have never got to hear anyone say wether it worked or not? maybe Mofish can answer this question? If they are anything like my old lady she always find her way back home........:D

SMILES
09-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Monty, Now that's funny.

Speck
09-14-2009, 04:55 AM
To catch a moving fish, you just have to lead them a little.:p

gabowman
09-14-2009, 05:22 AM
If they are anything like my old lady she always find her way back home........:D:D:D:D

rangerman93
09-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I to am curious as to what Mofish has to say on this.

bwillaub
09-14-2009, 07:50 AM
To catch a moving fish, you just have to lead them a little.:p

Don't forget to factor in the windage.......uhhhh.....I mean current.:cool:

MOfishmgr
09-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I wish I had the answer. But I've not seen any studies where they moved crappie and then followed them back. So here's my best guess. During the spawn they should move back to the nest at other times of the year, I have no clue. Bass are highly territorial, often spending much of their lives within a few yards of a single stump. Tournament caught fish can be moved miles away and then re-caught off the same stump just days later. I would doubt crappie are that territorial. I'll do some checking around and see if I can find out any more. Never really had a reason to research this one.

bwillaub
09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I would think they would return to the area where they were caught if it were possible. Seems I read something along these lines sometime before.

MOfishmgr
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I did a little research on crappie movements and there is really only one good telemetry study out there. It found that crappie movements consisted mostly of vertical movements. Meaning they moved from deeper to shallower water and back. There was insufficient data to conclude whether crappie had home ranges they stayed in. Another study tagged crappie in different interconnected lakes and then recorded whether they migrated to other lakes. Up to 90% of the tagged crappie were caught in a different lake. No real answers here, but it does show that crappie will move some. I'd be surprised if a crappie spent a lot of time moving all over the lake. They just don't have the energy reserves for significant, non-feeding movement. Meaning that there probably isn't a good reason for them to use the energy moving if they aren't feeding. Most small fish limit movement to maintain good bioenergetics.

jackb
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Until I met Monty, I ALWAYS knew where the Crappie were. It just wasnt where I was...:eek:

olesilverside
09-14-2009, 12:09 PM
for chiming in,,, now I got to start a we-haul buisness...... sounds to me like they just might hang around for a little while...... I do know at bucksaw they release a lot of tour. crappie and a lot end up in the coves close to there.... not sure how many, but several seems like..... and it is less than a mile from there..... :D

C N
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
How much? I'll tell you where I want to catch them and you can move them to those GPS coordinates about 30 mins. before I arrive, ok? I'm not that picky. Anything 10" or over will do. Be sure to move at least 15 fish for me. Not that I wouldn't want Rick to have luck, too, but I really like it when I catch more than he does. :p Now to figure out how only I can catch them.......... hmmmmmm. It would really suck if he caught 15 and I got zero. :(

Pole Bender
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
How much? I'll tell you where I want to catch them and you can move them to those GPS coordinates about 30 mins. before I arrive, ok? I'm not that picky. Anything 10" or over will do. Be sure to move at least 15 fish for me. Not that I wouldn't want Rick to have luck, too, but I really like it when I catch more than he does. :p Now to figure out how only I can catch them.......... hmmmmmm. It would really suck if he caught 15 and I got zero. :(

Cut the hook off his jig!:cool:

olesilverside
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
hook right behind the barb and it will still look like a good hook, seen this happen on time, he will lose a lot of fish........ CAN U SWIM??:D:D

C N
09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I can swim like a fish. You think he'll toss me overboard? And we have a ladder so I can get back in. :cool: That is if he doesn't toss me out and then take off for the marina. ;)

sliles
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I have learned that the fish seemed to stay were you put them. (within the area)

beagle man
09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
thanks for the reply, the serious ones anyway, now I have learned a couple new things on c.c keep the big ones, they are on there way out anyway, and If you move them they will stay,

rangerman93
09-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for your posts MOfish. I agree with you that crappie are very depth oriented. 90% of those tagged crappie migrated to a different lake. wow. I aint sure which is harder,chasing big crappie,or big white tail bucks. They both really confuse me.

cook
09-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Good info...I always thought in the summer that crappie would follow shad.What do the larger or at least legal crappie feed on mainly in the summer and how often do they have to feed,Jake?

sliles
09-15-2009, 08:10 AM
What i found that they do follow the shad but they stage in the summer time on the flats and wait to ambush them in the mornings and evenings. Patterns do change.

MOfishmgr
09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Crappie feed fairly often but I doubt they spend a lot of energy to do it. They definitly feed actively in the morning and late afternoon, but will take an easy meal if one shows up. That's why jigging structure is such a good method for crappie. I did catch some crappie surfacing on small shad this year, but they were right in the trees so they didn't have to go far. Trolling on flats can be good, but probably better early and late. In large reservoirs crappie and most other predators feed primarily on shad. That's why Truman is a crappie factory...good small shad each year. It's also why Smithville has improved virtually every year since 2000...we've had good to excellent shad hatches each year. Shad grow quickly in Smithville most years and get too large for crappie by late October. But we have brook silversides and red shiners in the lake that help feed them later in the year. In smaller lakes, especially those with vegetation, they will feed primarily on small bluegill and aquatic insects (the things your jigs imitate). I've seen them gorge on mayflies at Watkin's Mill on a summer's evening. They ate so much they looked like they were carrying eggs. But when we tubed them (a method to remove thier stomach contents without killing them) they were full of mayflies. With the vegtation at Smithville, we get some decent mayfly hatches too and they feed on them when available. I've had some of my better jig fishing days when the marina cobwebs were full of mayflies. Some research has indicated that crappie feed much less when water temps get over 80 degrees. At Smithville we haven't had many days the last three years with water temps above 80. Could this be the reason for the great crappie fishing this year? Possibly. This comes into play much more often on small lakes where deep oxygenated water isn't as available as readily as on a big lake. In hot years, catching crappie in the middle of the day might be much more difficult ona small lake.

jackb
09-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Jake, your posts are a pleasure to read. Always great info. Thank you for being on here.:)

beagle man
09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Thank you jake, It is a pleasure to see good replys to good post. I wish I could retain what I read,

crappie up

kazualobzerver
09-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks Mofishmgr, very interesting info. I'd be curious if you are able to determine the species from the study where they moved through interconnecting lakes. Interconnecting lakes prompt me to think of natural northern lakes and if it was a northern body of water, say central Iowa on north, then black crappie dominate in those bodies of water. No scientific basis to my opinions but the blacks and whites sure seem to act and pattern differently. Interesting to see you say that crappie are basically lazy critters cause have always felt that but I'm betting the whites are more so than blacks.