Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bank Fishing Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank Fishing Smithville

Nautically Challanged (No Boat) and have been skunked with no keepers when fishing from the bank. Best day is two white bass. I have been hunting for crappie, and have not had much luck. Any suggestions for someone that cannot get out on the water?

I have been fishing near W bridge, sailboat cove, camps creek. Probably not in the right spots though.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Bad Will welcome to CDC. I have never fished Smithville so I am of no help but I am sure some that do will be glad to share some information with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it another month or two and it will be a lot better from the bank.Been a strange summer,weather wise,and even the boys in the boats seem to have to keep moving a lot to get a limit.

Post Thanks / Like

This year Burton and the Park's Department put out brush piles very close to shore on the Camp Branh side of the lake. Most of the piles are less than 50 feet from the shore. I fished Area 4 last week and did very well. If you notice on the other side of the bridge there is another brush pile marked on the map. I fished that this week. Didn't do so well, but did catch some fish. Just to the right of that pile their is another one (not marked) that I ran across yesterday. All of these piles are casting distances from shore. Also I've noticed a lot of people fishing from the bank on the North West side of the Bridge at Camp Branch. There seems to be a trail the Park's Department built and a lot of people fish from there.

I'm sure Cook can help you more how to fish the shore at Smithville.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site Bad Will, from another Smithville fisherman.

I can vouch for what Alex has marked above for area 4. You should be able to cast something across those piles from the bank, or put a slip bobber on with a minnow below and sloowwly bring it across those piles. You WILL catch keeper crappie there!

If that doesn't pan out, let me know. I have a complete POS boat but it gets me off the shore, so...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I will hit those spots next time I get out. Hopefully Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Bank fishing can be very good during the spawn. Access 18 on the Smithville map is usually a good bank fishing cove in the spring. I'd bet it would be good in the fall as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter gets better from the bank,they group up better and if ya find'em it can be nonstop,but a lot of dinks.Also you can buy a winter pass for the marina,they run bubblers,so the water is always open.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm heading to KCI to pick up some in-laws on 10-8 Thurs. so I thought I would head out a little early and give this a try.
    Thanks for the map Alex, how deep are some of these piles? I thought I would start with a bobber about 3' then go lower and lower until I catch something or get snagged.

Thanks
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner