Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vermilion Bay is On!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vermilion Bay is On!

During the past couple of weeks the water has cleared noticeably. Redfish - some up to 30 inches long - and a surprising number of flounder have been striking gold and purple Clouser-type flies against the grass shorelines around the northwest corner of the bay. Some very nice specks are being caught around Cypremort Point by conventional anglers, so they are right for fly fishing too. The area around Burns Point (Actually in East Cote Blanche Bay but the same body of water) is also giving up some nice specks.
    I've been using a Sage "Smallmouth" bass-rod with a 9-weight line for prospecting the shorelines. It pinpoint-casts well at short range, though it's kinda wimpy. Whatever, work the grass with a fly just like you would with a spinnerbait, and you WILL catch some reds and probably a flounder or two.
    Bon chance.
    Pete

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're having a blast Pete. One of these days I'll get old like you and can fish every day of the week. HaHa. I've never really learned the techniques for fly fishing except to slap a small popper on the water for gils. I know that is fun so I can just imagine what it would be like to hook up to a red or nice speck. I have a neighbor just up the street that likes to chase reds with a fly rod and I really enjoy hearing his stories. One day I just might hook up with him for a demo.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you are still hammering them reds Pete,leave a few.

gators stink

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, cher, we turned three loose last time out - biggest about 10 inches long! :D
    Good to hear from you again!
    Pete