PDA

View Full Version : Did the site go down?

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
if ever the webmaster/host is unable to maintain this site please let me know. I'd be happy to take it over. I love the site and dont' want it to go away. Had me worried for a bit..
Jer

skiptomylu
09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Don't think Ed is ready to hand this site over, but that is just my opinion.

Skip

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I didn't mean it that way either.

Southeasttackle
09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I thought it was my computer this morning acting up. It happens though.

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I just hope he's got a backup of the site and database. I have had forums in the past and found that you can't rely on the host provider for backups/recoveries in a FAST manner. Typically their recovery times are measured in DAYS rather than Hours. I had one outage in 5 years due to a hack and was back up in a few hours with a patched version (only because the vendor had issued the update earlier in the week and I was waiting til the weekened to patch the site).

Shellback
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Pomoxis, I think Ed has everything under control, you know he has a real job, not just babying an internet site. Have some respect for the man who brings this all to us.

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I think most of us have real jobs. Some of us just happen to work in technology.

It's like anything else. If you know what to do, take the right precautions, prepare in advance for an event, then recovery is faster and less painful than it otherwise would be.

I understand this is just a little hobby fishing site but it took alot more work to put it together than you might think.

*shrug*

I'm just trying to help with my experience since I ask you folks for help on fishing.

chaunc
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Seems like you're kinda lost without this site. :D 200 posts in one month. :eek: Nothing else to do, huh?

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 12:55 PM
mobile phone with unlimited internet ;)

Plus I type over 70wpm and read very quickly.
Jer

chaunc
09-09-2009, 12:58 PM
mobile phone with unlimited internet ;)

Plus I type over 70wpm and read very quickly.
Jer

YEP.... i'm right. NOTHING ELSE TO DO....:D

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
hehe, or just able to time share.

Shellback stop trying to stir up trouble if you think I'm disrespecting the site owner by offering to help then I don't know what you expect folks to do when things happen and folks think they might be able to help. Especially folks who are highly skilled and qualified to help.

Shellback
09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Oh, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I'm trying to tell you to have some respect for the man that runs this site. You sound like you think you can handle this site better than the owner. So the site is down for a few hours, relax, he'll get it back up. Suppose you ran the site and your son or daughter was hurt and you had to take them to the hospital? Are you really going to worry yourself if a recreational site goes down while your gone?
Then you ask if the owner has a backup and database? He's been running this site for years, he didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I find your questioning insulting to the owner. Why not direct your questions to Ed instead of questioning his abilities in front of the board? Better yet, start your own board and show us how well it can be done!

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
your opinion is noted.

pwbuilding
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
i have two grandkids that live with me. don't feel bad fellas , they try to argue just like that:D:D:D:D:D

Blackhawk19
09-09-2009, 04:06 PM
YEP.... i'm right. NOTHING ELSE TO DO....:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

skiptomylu
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
your opinion is noted.

Just checked back and I didn't mean my reply as you took it. I was just kind of poking fun a little. I feel we can all use a little help from time to time and maybe you should just PM Slab to offer what you want.

Skip

Pomoxis
09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
:) Skip that was directed at shellback.
At my age I appreciate help when I can get it. All too often I end up doing stuff by myself or my lovely bride (of 18 years) gets volunteered to try and help.

As a result of my appreciation for getting help I tend to be very open with my skills. If I can help I'm not one to stand around with my hands in my pockets talking about how I USED to do something..I'll get up and actually help.

I spent 6 years active and 3 years drilling reserve in the canoe club so I understand a little.