Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville – That BAD??? No Report?

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville – That BAD??? No Report?

You guys are scaring me, I‘ve not seen a report on Smithville lately. I haven’t been out in awhile. Just wondering if it’s even worth a try. The lake is almost back to normal and the outflow has decreased. If I make it up there Wednesday I’ll let ya know how it went. Maybe I sould go somewhere else or stay home!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont fish smithville but I know this, if you can go fishing go, and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone only a couple of times in the last 3 weeks, but they were still releasing 1200+ of water. We caught some...was slow...... if you grind it out you'll catch some.

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200

Post Thanks / Like

I went elsewhere on Mon. and glad I did!!!! Had one over 15" Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Went out to run the boat this morning stop at W bridge fished about a hour and half . Caugth about 20 , 10 of which were keepers 10 an 11 inch fish the rest were dinks. Good to get back out . Blue and white and Orange and chartrues down 10 to 12 ft. . Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Atta way Dave, great to hear you are back out there although the Smithville crappie won't share that sentiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a drive around the lake. Looks like the Corps has slowed the release to the normal 8 cfs. None of the sulphur smell. Level almost normal. Just in time for a cold front this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been out since Friday, 08/28. We launched at Camp Branch and went under the bridge and to the left (North) hitting that whole area but focusing mostly on those brush piles along the bridge road. That's where they were most consistent in strikes and size. The rest of that area, while fun, didn't quite produce. Hard to remember but I think we filleted 12 between the three of us. (Well, the third of us was my 11yo son who finally hung in there long enough to catch his first crappie!)

Name:  Sam's First Crappie - 20090828.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  88.2 KB

(sorry for the crummy photo...all I had with me was my cell phone!)

Nothing really huge...just all 10" or so. And minnows were the menu item of choice.

Ready to go out again!!

Post Thanks / Like

I finally go to go tue.....was after cats..went about 1/2 mile downstream from the spillway.Got there around 11,and they just started shutting the plug.managed 3 channels and a 10# blue before it got to shallow.Also caught a white bass on shad and a fish I think was either a mooneye or goldeye?kinda looked like a big herring with lots of sharp teeth on shad...I"ll check it out on the mdc page.

Edit-turned out to be a mooneye,about 14"...eligible for a citation...1# or 12" min....not real common around here from what I've read.
    Last edited by cook; 09-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

guess i will have to google mooneye. got a picture of the bird