Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electronics question

Post Thanks / Like

Default electronics question

Hello,
    I have a 12 volt, 5 speed foot controlled motorguide trolling motor. It is 'hooked up" to a Minikota Maximizer {these are not made anymore}. This allows for variable speed for trolling. I have the chance to purchase a 74lb thrust 21/24 volt motorguide at a very reasonable price. It is also a five speed. My question is: will the Maximizer work on the 12/24 trolling. I must have the variable speed.

Thanks!

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy
    Hello,
    I have a 12 volt, 5 speed foot controlled motorguide trolling motor. It is 'hooked up" to a Minikota Maximizer {these are not made anymore}. This allows for variable speed for trolling. I have the chance to purchase a 74lb thrust 21/24 volt motorguide at a very reasonable price. It is also a five speed. My question is: will the Maximizer work on the 12/24 trolling. I must have the variable speed.

Thanks!
    cane pole is at his lake house[no puter] try him later tonight or this week

he a wize on electronics
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Thanks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Maximizer would need to have post to allow for 24 volt operation. The 12 volt motor you now have only needs two cables from one battery. The 24 volt you are looking at will require two batteries and four cables. If the maximizer doesn't have enough connections to allow for 24 volt operation it could not work.
    That being said the 12/24 could be wired to just run on 12 volts but I assume that would defeat the purpose in upgrading to the 12/24 system.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I would think so....

Hello,

Thanks!
    ...at least on 12v set-up, I think all the maximizer is a glorified rheostat...not sure on that part??? I would call Minnkota and talk to someone there....talked to couple people there myself, very helpful....just not always the answers I wanted.. :rolleyes:
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

I think (trouble already there :p ) the newer 24V's only need two wires
    now, unlike the older ones that switched 12 or 24 - most I've seen now
    are straight 24. I would think the only consideration would be if the electronics in the maximizer can handle it. I would be cautious, but think
    there's a good chance it will. I have noticed a bunch of little "ice cube"
    relays and stuff, have one Omron programable timer/relay that says it
    will run on anthing from 0-90 volts DC, or 120/240 AC if I remember right.
    I scavenged it from a machine being thrown away one time at work,
    used it as a aerator timer for awhile on boat I used to have, but it's somewhere in that disaster area I call a shop - somewhere!
    Karl has the right idea - MinnKota is some good folks, they'll know for sure.
    It is a little more complicated than reostat, but above my head...
    It cuts power on and off, like in milliseconds, to vary speed - so fast,
    you (or the motor) don't realize it, other than seeing the speed change.
    Last edited by J White; 10-09-2005 at 03:15 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I made a typo on my message. It should be 12/24 not 21/24. Also the maximizer is a glorified rheostat as Karl described it.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didn't notice the " / " thought it was straight 24 -
    Ok
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The key word here is amps. What is the max rating in amps for the maximizer and what is the max for the trolling motor? If the motor can be wired to run off 24V only and when cranked up to fastest speed, it does not exceed the amp rating of the maximizer, it could be done. But like someone else said, some of those 12/24 motors requires 2 seperate 12 volt sources. In which case you would be better off with a 24V Minnkota. I've just had too many bad experiences with Motorguide. But thats just my opinion.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ibnfshn rite here

I would bet the maximizer is a pulse width modulation circuit. An electronic rheostat if you must call it something. It is all about the current rating. Remember, if you double the voltage, you half the current for the same power result. I would think you could set the trol motor on 24v and max speed with the switch settings, then use the maximizer to control the motor speed. Check with the manufacturer. But, again, bill is rite. I would get a trol motor with the stuff already built in. Probably save you a lot of hastle. What's a few hundred more bucks if you can catch one good fish...haha

Unlike Ibn though, I have had good luck with Motorguide products. If I were gonna spend me money though, I would get one of those MinnKotas (digital) with the hydraulic lift assist. I just tried out my new Motorguide and I really liked it (especially the price), but it is a bear to lift out of the water.

If you can get me the electrical drawings and the maximizer specifications, I will tell you what I personally would do. But, hey, I am no expert.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The maxamizer would handle the voltage/ current, 24V will be less current than 12V but the voltage switching would have to be done external to the maximmizer.

Beev
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast