Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: dock shootin questin

Post Thanks / Like

Default dock shootin questin

what weight jig works best? how lite is acceptable for range and a slow fall?

Post Thanks / Like

i use a 1/16th or a 1/32 both work good for me. when i shoot it after it hits the water i'll leave the bail open for a second or 2 so it drops deeper if needed and retrive slow. but i like the lighter jigs and have no problem getting them to the back of the dock. i use 4lb test line all the time and 1/32 seem to do good with that.
    hope this helps
    Got crappie?:D

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well, talegunner ....

Quote Originally Posted by talegunner View Post
    what weight jig works best? how lite is acceptable for range and a slow fall?
    I'll tell ya what I use --

1/16oz weedless jighead with Panfish Assassin or Crappie Pro solid body tube. I use this weight for over 90% of my presentations. I do, occasionally, use a 1/32oz weedless jighead (with the same plastics), but it has the same size hook as the 1/16oz (a #2).
    IMHO ... jighead weight has to be measured against the prevailing wind speed, as much as against fall rate. Wind can slow the fall of a jig, and even change the trajectory of your "shot", as well as change the course of your jig's return path. The lighter the jig, the greater the effect.

Most of the dock shooters I know about, use a 1/16, 1/24, or 1/32oz jighead (or jig).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

ROFL..I mis-read and thought this was about "DUCK shooting"...was wondering why it was in the main cdc forum :o
    good read tho..
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes work the outside edges of real deep docks with 1/8 and a 3" tail, but that is the only time I go that heavy around docks. Inside pitchin and shootin is a light jig game. The slower the fall, the longer the bait is in the fishes face and the more likely you'll get him interested. 4lb hi vis line, cuz they frequently hit on the rise with no thump and you see the hit. 1/16 is a good starting point but keep the little ones handy. It's a boat load of fun. Keep us posted on how you make out.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I take the middle of the road using 1/24th most of the time. If the water is moving fast I may switch to 1/16th so it will drop faster. A friend of mine uses 1/32th to give it more time to drop before hitting the bottom. I use the round heads as they are easier to grip. As far as jigs to I use combinations of green, white, chartreuse, orange, black & blue. but I have seen them hit anything if they are aggressive. I went by myself one day and decided to clean out all the jigs that I have not used (jigs I thought I would never use again, old ugly looking stuff) and that was the best day I have had shooting docks in years. I caught around 90 that day and kept 30 of the best (and I left early). I caught 35 under one dock that day. You just never know.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/16th with 6# or 8# line. The heavier line will slow the fall. My "go to" bait is a Panfish Assassin or Bass Pro Stubby Butt in limetreuse or salt & pepper shad.

FWIW, seems like the Bass Pro Stubby Butts are quite a bit tougher than the Panfish Assassins.

Post Thanks / Like

Talegunner,
    Dont know if you have used a cork before while shooting docks so if you havent give it a try. I have had good success with it but practice makes perfect as the trajectory is a little different. I use 1/32nd jig and the smallest cork I can ice fishing ones work good.

Post Thanks / Like

JUST from watching the video's Midwest crappie the two most popular from all that I've watched are 1/32 or 1/16th. The guys who posted above me know more.

Fatman