Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PB crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Default PB crappie!

I am not a crappie fisherman AT ALL, I joined this site for the bream fishing forum and the carp forum. Well, I was fishing at this creek which runs into Carr Creek Lake that is around, no joke, 20' deep. I was fishing with a Zebco 11 spin-caster, 4 lb. Trilene, and a Shakespeare Pro-Am 5'6 light action rod. I was using a small ice fishing jig, and a piece of earthworm. I catch around 5 or 6 three-six inch bluegills. I hook into a big, I mean BIG fish. The hook came out. I saw the fish, at first glance I thought it was a lightly colored common carp or a grass carp that they recently introduced into CC lake. Well, right after this, I set my drag low because my dad breaks off his 4 lb. line by a carp, he was fishing with corn. So I'm getting this small bite and my line gets tight. My drag is a SCREAMIN'! The hook get's spitten out by a Large-Mouth Bass, which I was thinking had to be around 15" or it wouldn't peel drag off like this fish did.

I fish in the spot again where I lose that "grass carp". And I hook the same fish. I bring it in and it is a black CRAPPIE! I now know it was a Crappie I had hooked earlier and not a CARP. This is no crappie I have seen, it was 11"! This is only the second crappie I've ever caught. Nobody really catches crappie this sized at this lake. Me and my dad goes to my Uncle's house to show off the catch. He said he's never caught one that big. Then I release it into this big creek beside his house ...

The thing fought like the gates of h*** for at least 4 seconds, then I pulled it in like a wet-towel. This is a fish I will remember for years to come!

PS, this may not sound like a big crappie to you, but people around here just don't catch near-foot long crappie.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-05-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the story. Oh, and an 11" crappie is a nice fish anywhere you go. Keep after them and they are sure to hook you.
    Some people like to fish, Crappie fishermen live to fish. Can I get an Amen!

Post Thanks / Like

Amen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep

That's how it all starts.. Next thing you now your buying crappie specific fishing tackle and try to catch large crappie every time you go out.. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JusFshn View Post
    That's how it all starts.. Next thing you now your buying crappie specific fishing tackle and try to catch large crappie every time you go out.. :D
    Yeah, LOL. I think I'm already addicted.

*rushes to wal-mart to buy one of those 12' long crappie poles*

lol.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I moved from FL 4 yrs ago, and spent a lot of time trying to adjust my bass techniques. Somewhere along the line I was throwing light tackle, a white curl tail on an 1/8 oz head, when "THUMP", a Crappie about 1 1/2 lbs came out from under the dock and hit that jig hard. Cool, into the live well. Now, back to the bass. THUMP! Another one, almost as big. That happened about 8 times in an hour and a half on 4 or 5 different boathouses along this shoreline. Aint been right since. Now bass are a by-catch and I'm having more fun and meeting more down to earth people that share my passion. And for you, my friend, it's only just begun. Welcome to the forum, Lots here to learn. Tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, and an eleven incher I would say is off to a real nice start. I, sadly, have gotten so hooked over the many years of crappie fishing that I sometimes have restless nights. Just laying in bed thinking about that next big one. Soooo, I do what any other normal person would do, yes thats right, you guessed it. I say the heck with sleep, I am going fishing.
    Some people like to fish, Crappie fishermen live to fish. Can I get an Amen!

Post Thanks / Like

There is some type of fever that fishermen (both men and women) catch that is called "Crappie-itis". No known cure, but fishing does help to keep it in remission. Some of the symptoms are, thinking of crappie at inopportune times (in church, in business meetings, during romantic interludes, etc.), an endless search for lighter tackle, and when you discover that you own more jigs than the local tackle shop.

There are other symptoms but you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

when you have so many crappies during the day and you try to go to sleep that night and you keep seeing your bobber going under you know you have crappi - itis.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I thing you got hooked as well as the fish:D

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast