Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: add on tiller for trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Question add on tiller for trolling motor

have a new pelican boat and all in all it is great for the electric only lakes i have built a small tail for the back so it goes straight instead of fighting the wind and current with just the troller but i have seen a small fin that attaches to the motor on your trolling motor and it is suppose to help i guess give the motor a broader side and help with the blowing around and such.

my question is does any one have one and are they worth the effort .

thanks,
    Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

I have not. But I use a 14 ft. alu. boat and have the same issues. I cut out a piece of pressure treated wood in the shape of a rudder and attached a clamp to place it on the transom. It has worked wonders. You might also think about a drift sock.

Post Thanks / Like

i also had a 14 ft alum. thats when i started the tail thing and built one myself and like you said it worked like a charm.

but just was wondering about the trolling end of it and might look into the drift socks have already thought of them but have never used one .

thanks,
    Scott

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I didn't have much money, I would tie a window sash weight to each handle in the back of my jon. It gave it the needed signature in the water to keep the back end in the back and not too much drag when it was time to move. These were about a foot long and made of steel. If I was to do it today I would clean and paint or rubber coat them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i have some of those skeetbum and never gave thenm a thought would work great in 2 res. i fish but another one is roughly about 90 ft deep so i would need alot of rope lol.

but it would work in the shallower lakes thanks for the great idea.

Thanks,
    Scott

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't use them as anchors, but hung them on the back put something in the water to pivot against. Troll motor up front(12 lb thrust) only, no motor in back. Maybe 18" from boat handle to top of the sash weight. If I got into shallows they would just drag over and hang when they had room. Just some po boy redneck technology.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around