Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Fishing

I know most of you guys are fishing on big and deep lakes. Here most of the oxbows are low. Some you can't get into right now. My question is, which do you prefer now? Shallow lakes or deeper lakes. Both are equal in structure to fish.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well Pox .. in that hypothetical setting,

and given the circumstances of equal size & numbers of fish/volume of water ....... I'd go to the shallowest waters available. It would seem more likely to be able to reach the fish in those waters, given that they would not have the luxury of depth, or volume of water, to hide in :D ........cp

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    I know most of you guys are fishing on big and deep lakes. Here most of the oxbows are low. Some you can't get into right now. My question is, which do you prefer now? Shallow lakes or deeper lakes. Both are equal in structure to fish.
    Hey Pox, I prefer the shallow southern oxbows. My home lake is deeep and I have a hard time finding fish here. I need a little more deep water crappie training...lol...This lake has big crappie & most all the crappie caught here are keepers....

Have a good evening
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing somewhat, the shallower lake has bigger crappie, and both lakes are in equal in size. However, the deeper lake has more fish, real small crappie though.

Post Thanks / Like

My local lake is nice in the spring and summer, but in the winter they drop the water 18'. Yep I said 18'. Which makes it hard to put out fish attractors. I am going to go ahead and put out some more bamboo condos in hopes that no one moves them, but I have some death stars that I won at the teezur and a J&J attractor that I am going to put out at another lake because they would be too easy for some one to take/move once the water is dropped. It sucks. The lake is allatoona in GA
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkubulta Lake,ms

This Lake Is Very Low But Huge Crappie But Not Much Cover And
    Very Muddy And They Can Be Very Hard To Find.....keeps Me Guessing
    Where They At. Spider Rig Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    This Lake Is Very Low But Huge Crappie But Not Much Cover And
    Very Muddy And They Can Be Very Hard To Find.....keeps Me Guessing
    Where They At. Spider Rig Man
    That's what keeps us coming back! If it were easy we would call it "Picking Fish" and it would be a chore!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

My lake here is deep even after the draw down. Big crappie in it but they have too many places too hide and they hide well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default less water

less water=easier fishing to me. fewer places to hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, guess I would have to say bigger and deeper is my preference since that is where I fish 99% of the time. However, the presentation style like you would use at Tunica Cutoff when the water is up in the willows is my favorite way to fish. I only get to do that here in the spring around stumps and shallow brush.

Not so sure about the bigger fish being in shallow, smaller impoundments. In the past week Jerry has landed a 17.5" and a 16.5" both over 2 lbs. and I have gotten a 15.5" and a really fat 14" both near 2 lbs. Though we do sometimes get into the dinks, the average crappie will run 11-13" most of the time. Either way it make for a nice mess of fillets. As for me, I dream about breaking the state record all the time and still have yet to land that magic 3 pounder.
    Last edited by Darryl Morris; 10-09-2005 at 06:12 AM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast