Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville 8/29

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 8/29

It was a beautiful day, but a tough one to fish. I started out at 7:00 am an decided to fish the Camp Branch side of the lake again. I didn’t know what the fish were going to do, so I decided to hit all of my spots that were productive in the past. But, it was the new spots the got the fish.

The numbers on the map mark the order I fished the lake. Area 1 was in deep water 25’. I’ve done well here in the past, but it came up short this time. Not a bite and the fish finder didn’t see a thing. I did notice all the other guys that fished deep gave up real quick and made their way closer to shore.

I thought the fish may have gone shallow, so I headed into the cover at Area 2. This cove is going to be my spot next year during the spawn. It’s shallow for the most part, but then goes deep right where the number two is on the map and out the main lake (primary and secondary points). It has a bunch of trees everywhere and on the edges are large flats. But, for today nothing was there.

My best spots of the day were Area 3, 4, and 5. These spots were in about 15’ of water and in tight clusters of timber. Fish were hanging close to the bottom and I really had to work the jig for them to bite.

My last ditch effort was Area 6 before I gave up for the day. Nothing was there but me and a screeching sea gull.

After 5 hours of fishing I ended up with 9 keepers and a dead trolling motor battery.

Bait used today was – as usual – 1.5” tube jigs. Colors used were black/chart, blue/chart, and my favorite tri-color black/green/chart. The bite was best on black/chart. Water temp was 76 and about 1.5’ clear. The lake color up where I was fishing has changed from that septic brown color to a hazy green. Hopefully when they close the flood gates the lake will get back to normal.

Even though it was not a good fishing day, and the temp was a little cold, the best part of the day was weather kept the recreational boaters away – WOOHOO! I can’t wait for fall weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by APKape; 08-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Alex I see the lakes coming back down slow when it gets back to normal, the fishing should pick back up. Plus the boat traffic should slow down to.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report! Got to agree with you about the pleasure boats, they should start to fade away pretty fast with this weather!

Post Thanks / Like

outstanding report sir, maby next time it will get better hope so but hey you got to go and that is a plus, good fishing to you,

Post Thanks / Like

As usual, Alex, outstanding report! We did not due good at all on Truman. Glad you had a better day than we did, but it was still fun just to be out

Post Thanks / Like

Great report glad u caught some and had a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

nice report
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Great report as usual!