Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trying to talk myself into Truman this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to talk myself into Truman this weekend.

I think I may haul up to Truman this weekend, probably Sat. I need to check the pulse on a few Early Goose spots up that way and thought I may just go fishing while I am at it.

I have never made a trip to Truman solely to crappie fish. I have casually tried it while Goose hunting a few years ago by Osceola, but we didn't have much luck.

Any of you regulars have any suggestions? I don't even know where to start, but it sounds like a fun style of fishing from what I read on here. I always have fun fishing visible stucture (standing timber) and it sounds like you guys catch plenty of them on it.

When I say I don't even know where to start, I mean it. I have heard you guys talk a lot about a public ramp at Bucksaw? Would you reccomend that one or maybe another one?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    What color you got on?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bucksaw is a excellent start

Who knows what the fishing is going to be like, the north wind today is really cooling things off quick around here, they were turning on pretty good all week long, but I am affraid that is going to change and not for the better, might have to do a little more searching for them by this weekend..... wish I knew more, but none of us can predict the weather pattern.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks OSS,

When I google "Bucksaw, Truman Lake" I find Bucksaw Resort and Marina. Is this a pay ramp?

If so, how much is the ramp fee?

thanks again.
    What color you got on?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It is free to launch there. Hard to say what the fish will be doing like OSS said. It seems more like the middle of October than it does the end of August. The marina will give you some good advice on where to start based on the pattern from the day before. Outside tree rows was the ticket yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Bucksaw has a great marina with Restaurant, too. Pancakes the size of hubcaps and lots more great food, too. We eat there every time we are down to fish. Richard Bowling manages the marina and is a #1 crappie guide, too. You can't go wrong at Bucksaw.

Sounds like they should pay me to do some commercials!!!!!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Chris i will give you some crappie spots from some of your goose spots. Have you done well during the early goose season on truman? I have only had one good hunt during the early season.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I wish you both

would stay home, your shot is falling on my head while I am fishing.....:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biteme View Post
    Chris i will give you some crappie spots from some of your goose spots. Have you done well during the early goose season on truman? I have only had one good hunt during the early season.
    biteme,

What I've found at Truman, if you are hunting the lake, is that you are basically hunting one flock of birds at any given time. They use it for loafing and roosting so they don't get real concentrated when they come back into the lake. During the early season geese like their space from other family groups and they are usually in flocks of 5-30 birds in any given spot. They seem to like the short grassy points where old sloughs and coves come in. You have to have patience with those birds up there during early season. A lot of the time they don't come back to the lake until 10-noon and I have been burned by birds coming in as I am picking up a few times before I figured this out.

I would imagine if you could get access on private ground where they are going to feed you could get bigger concentrations, but I've only tried that once and was shot down so I didn't bother anymore. I don't hunt the lake anymore for early goose, I have found a couple landowners that hate them and beg me to come shoot as many as legal during the early season:D

OSS,

you don't know a good thing when you hear it. The reports from the shotguns mid morning actually wake the crappie up and make them start looking up trying to figure out what is going on. A savvy crappie fisherman actually would try to fish near the goose hunters in hopes of this happening.
    What color you got on?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A real story

Lot of duck and goose hunters use the sparrowfoot ramp during season, so when I put that cab on my boat a few years ago I also installed a amber strobe light on the roof, because I wanted them early duck hunters to know I was out there, first morning we do this.. of course it is dark as he-- turn on the strobe light and work our way to our fishing spot, we come in about 10 that morning and they are at the ramp loading out, and said man you scared the sheet out of us with that strobe light, we thought you was the Man....... I still laugh at that.... They put out blocks or decoys about 100 yards from where we fish and we have actually seen some shot land in the water around us, heck it just makes our crappie weigh more.....and I know shot can carry from oseocla to clinton.........:D 18 miles........:D