Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Iowa

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Iowa

Anyone here from northwest Iowa. I just moved here from Louisiana and was hoping someone could give me some info or take em around. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

As you can tell there isn't too many of us Iowans that browse often here. I'm also fairly new to the Des Moines area and have spent most of my time up at Big Creek in Polk City, which I haven't had much luck.

Another site for you to check out would be iowaoutdoors.org.

Those guys have a ton of information on different lakes, fish patterns, water temps..etc.
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
    Anyone here from northwest Iowa. I just moved here from Louisiana and was hoping someone could give me some info or take em around. Thanks in advance
    Welcome to the site. Never too much action on here in the Iowa section until spring. Even then its sparce. I fished Rathbun yesturday and the crappies are plentiful, but small. That is one of the primier lakes in the state. Just couldn't find the bigger ones on that outing. Took alot of sorting to even get a mess to clean. Red Rock is another great fishery for BIG crappie. I dont go any further west then those, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the hawkeye state; not sure how far NW you are but some of the better places around Sioux City would be Synders(Bass,w bass,crappie,cat,blue gill, pike,f'n gar), Browns lake(bass,crappie,cat,gizzard shad), Smithland/Rodney(Blue gill,cat, bass), and Moville(bass, crappie, w bass). Bacon Creek in Sioux city gets stocked with rainbow trout 2 or 3 times a year once it gets colder, fun to catch. Let me know what town you live by, I'll try and let you know what lakes/ponds are around you.