Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Red

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color Red

Maybe this has been asked before, but I am wondering if red added to a lure/jig makes any difference. I have read that red is the first color to lose its color and go to black. Does a red hook then catch more fish or more fishermen? I use red thread a lot when tying jigs thinking it would look like gills, but wondering if it makes any difference. Anybody have an opinion on this?
    DR Fish

Post Thanks / Like

I read some article in In-Fisherman a while back that talked about a red lure being hit the least by bass during a test some one ran.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same with jigs that I tie and sure do like the red hooks, they're real pretty, but bet they catch more fisherman that fish. But if it gives you more confidence go for it!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
    I do the same with jigs that I tie and sure do like the red hooks, they're real pretty, but bet they catch more fisherman that fish. But if it gives you more confidence go for it!
    That is the key word. Have CONFIDENCE in the presentation and lure you are using. I also use red thread in my handmade jigs to imitate the red flare you see when a fish opens his mouth to inhale a jig. I also uso the color red in most of the ice jigs I make because red is the color of blood and I am trying to give the crappie a fleeting image of a wounded minnow. The most important factor is CONFIDENCE and a SLOW PRESENTATION.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

If your really interested if red catches more fish than come fish with me and I will let you be the judge. I buy a lot of plain chartreuse 1/16 jigs. When I get them I use a dot of red fingernail polish and put a dot under and behind the head of the jig. You can use my equipment and use the plain jig and I will use the jigs with the red dot. After a while we can switch and I will use the plain jigs and you use the ones with the red dot and you will be sold that the red does make a difference. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

pulling cranks i change the front hook to red treble, fish always inhale the front hook, always.
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge red hook fan. I also change out my treble hooks.
    cork'n crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that what the color is makes not difference as long as the fish like it. Also if it turns black when it gets down deeper then that is not necessary a bad thing. Black gives a better image for them to see and they can see it above them better than a light color anyway.

So I would say shallow it will work as red and deeper it will work as black.

Lots of people use a red body jig or a red head jig.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen articles going both ways but I make sure to have some red jigs or some cranks with red in them anyway.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know it's funny how every time my partener and i take my boat. I get home and clean up where he was sittin, there is chewed up red&white tubes everywhere! I wonder if he's nawin on them things?:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast