Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver salmon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Silver salmon

I'm headed to Alaska soon and I'm planning on going fishing for silver salmon. My question is how do they taste? I can have some shipped back for $5.00 a pound? Are they good eating? Or is it a waste of money to ship them back?
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Silvers are very good eating. Have eaten a lot of silvers. Send home everything you catch. You can bake, deep fry, or Barbecue. Very tasty. Are you going on a Guided trip or fishing on your own? Silvers are easy to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ken. Were going on a guided trip out of Katchikan.

Post Thanks / Like

have them fillet them....lay a fillet on alunium foil and season with.lemon juice,salt pepper,green peppers butter and onions.....seal it tight in the foil......put it on a bbq grill for 10 min....turn and cook the other side for 8 min.....let it rest for 5 min....you will have many friends......

Post Thanks / Like

I went to King Salmon a few years ago and we all carried a cooler as a piece of luggage and I brought 70# of King salmon filets back. Our outfitter vacum packed them and froze them then we just put them in the cooler and ducktaped the lid and hinges at the airport after they checked them and put them on the plane. On the way up we had them filled with beer and whiskey cause you don't want to buy any of that stuff in Alaska. I was there in 2004 and a case of beer was going for $44

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I know the area. Take a couple lures with you one is called a blue pirate, and the other is a Pink Hot Shot with beads inside which rattle when trolled. You will be glad you did. I know the guides will let you use them. They may have some themselves. Have fun. I have a neice that lives in Alaska. I will post a picture of the two lures if you want me two. I use both on Silvers, Salmon, and Steelhead they are a fabulous lure too troll with.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great if you would post the pictures. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Fishfinder8-- I have taken a picture at your request. The Pink is a Hot Shot put out buy Luhr Jensen. They are located in Oregon. I could knot find my Blue Pirate. I went through 6 tackel boxes. The lip on the Blue Pirate is red, showing is a green Hot Shot. Where the green is the Pirate will be blue. With a Silver belly. The diver I use as shown is hooked on bottom which it won't go as deep as if it was hooked on the top. The size of the Hot shot is a 35. I hope this helps. I used the Lures in the sand wauns, Cannda, Alaska, West coast, Oregon, Washington, have had great results. I hpe you seen my Blue Pirate. If knot reply and I will post my picture again. I deleted it of my Photobucket and it disapeared off the site. I will replace If you want me too.
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 09-01-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ken, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I will let you know how we did after we get back.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Fishfinder8, Guess what I found what we call a Blue Pirate. I have taken a picture of it. I found it in with my tools on the boat. Keep me posted on how you did in Alaska. When you get back from your trip send me a Private Message on how you did. Have a geat day everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast