PDA

View Full Version : Waxworms

Minus 1
10-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Good mornin again::
I'm in the posting mood today.Do any of you raise your own waxworms ? I've been raising them for a while.They are easy to raise,don't need any fancy equipment . It,s a lot like raising kids, keep them warm and their belly full and they are pretty content . :) If any of you are interested in growing them,let me know and I'll go of topic and walk you thru it. It's easy, fun, would make a good science fair project for a youngster.I take my extras
to the local bait shop and trade them for minnows.

Ketch a BIG bunch this time::
Norm

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
10-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I have been considering to do just that. I get so tired of getting the tiny, Yellow excuses for a Waxworm the local bait shops sell. Post your info here, or drop me a line. I'd love to know whats involved, and how much it would cost to get started. Thanks!!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Roberta
10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I buy 500 at a time from Grubco and that works out well for us. We are thinking about raising redworms, for fishing and compost, though. We generally keep a few dozen in the cellar but may expand that.

What's involved with the waxworms? - Roberta

Fishin_Magician
10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I am also interested in the wax worms. Sounds like a nice hobby... Worm-o-culture.

You guys use your waxies for gills or crappie? I have heard of tipping jigs with wax worms but I have never tried it.

~Fishin' Magician~

Roberta
10-06-2005, 11:34 AM
We use them for both, plus trout. Caught more than one bass and catfish on a waxworm-tipped crappie jig, too.

Google "vermiculture" and you'll get more info than you ever wanted on raising earthworms, but haven't looked at waxies. - Roberta

Getthenet
10-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I guarantee you that it is cheaper to buy from Grubco than raise your own. By the time you purchase all the stuff you need, keep the heat at 90 degrees in order to have nice, big, creamy white waxworms and not the yellow ones you are complaining about, wait for 3 weeks, and keep this up week after week, $10.00 for 500 is CHEAP!!!

Minus 1
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Gang:
If you go to Google.com and type in Rearing waxworms you'll get several pages on raising waxworms. This will give you an idea of what's involved.They can be raised in any type of container as long as it has a lid on it .I think a small aquarium would be great. You could watch their development without disturbing them A word of caution:::if you raise them in the house, be careful that the moths don't fly out when you take the lid off. they are quick little boogers.I don't know if they would eat clothes or not, but I've noticed a lot of holes in my socks lately.. :p You need to keep the temperature around 85 degrees. you can do this with a lite bulb, start with low wattage one ,increase wattage till you get to 85 deg.. it's not critical , in the wild they don't have controlled temps.I've used some of the recipes on google and they work ok. By far, the best and easiest way I've found is old honecomb with little or no honey in it. They thrive on the comb and pollen.I found mine on the the net.Type in Beekeepers.I found one only 40 mi. from me who was glad to sell me all the comb I wanted for $1.00 a frame.I thought that was cheap.Put the comb in the bottom of your container,put in a couple small boxes of waxworms put the lid on and keep warm. Check them in about 4 wks.By then you should have some tiny,and I do mean tiny worm on the comb.Now you start another colony.Once you get them started,you can have them year round. If you want to try the baby cereal recipe on Google, I mixed mine to a consisteny of peanut butter, put about 3 Tablespoons on a sheet of waxed paper, fold the paper over it and used a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1/4 in. thick. I hope this helps you get started, I think It's challenging and a fun thing thing to do!! If you have any questions I can help you with , post them or email me. Let me if you get a colony started. Good luck...Norm

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
10-06-2005, 07:29 PM
500 for $10.00!?!? That is a good price! Locally, we pay that for app 250 ct tubs, and that includes all of the dead ones too!

Ndchan - Please continue on with your subject knowledge. How long would it take to cycle a desireable harvest? I'm talking big, honking fatties? What kind of quantities could you expect from say an aquarium the size of a city recyling bin, or an average home stereo's speaker cabinet?

I have always had to keep my waxies cool to keep them changing to moths. What triggers their metamophisis? Temperature is a factor I'm sure, but what about age? Thanks again, you have been very informative already.

BTW - I hate getting 10,000 results from Google, then trying to wade through the BS as an aftermath to find what I'm really looking for. :rolleyes:

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Minus 1
10-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Fishin Magician::
Start tipping your jigs with with waxworms and I'm 100 percent sure you will notice a big increase in your catch ,especially brim. :)
Ketch a bunch:::
Norm

1weezer
10-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Dale from Grubco is out of town right now. But when he comes back next week, maybe we can ask him about this. He IS an expert on Waxworms.

Norm:
Good post and thanks for the information. Wish we have more posts like yours in here.

a lid on it .I think a small aquarium would be great. You could watch their development without disturbing them A word of caution:::if you raise them in the house, be careful that the moths don't fly out when you take the lid off. they are quick little boogers.I don't know if they would eat clothes or not, but I've noticed a lot of holes in my socks lately.. :p You need to keep the temperature around 85 degrees. you can do this with a lite bulb, start with low wattage one ,increase wattage till you get to 85 deg.. it's not critical , in the wild they don't have controlled temps.I've used some of the recipes on google and they work ok. By far, the best and easiest way I've found is old honecomb with little or no honey in it. They thrive on the comb and pollen.I found mine on the the net.Type in Beekeepers.I found one only 40 mi. from me who was glad to sell me all the comb I wanted for $1.00 a frame.I thought that was cheap.Put the comb in the bottom of your container,put in a couple small boxes of waxworms put the lid on and keep warm. Check them in about 4 wks.By then you should have some tiny,and I do mean tiny worm on the comb.Now you start another colony.Once you get them started,you can have them year round. If you want to try the baby cereal recipe on Google, I mixed mine to a consisteny of peanut butter, put about 3 Tablespoons on a sheet of waxed paper, fold the paper over it and used a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1/4 in. thick. I hope this helps you get started, I think It's challenging and a fun thing thing to do!! If you have any questions I can help you with , post them or email me. Let me if you get a colony started. Good luck...Norm[/QUOTE]

Minus 1
10-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
It takes about 6 wks to complete the cycle .They are very easy to grow in the hot summer weather.I made some plywood boxes this summer togrow mine in. 12" x21"x3-1/2". Next week ,I plan to pick up a non working refridgerator and put a heat tape in it. A lite bulb would do ok, I just happen to have a couple heat tapes.then I can stack the boxes inthe heated fridge.
I don't know how many you can grow in a 2ft. aquarium, but I can grow a BUNCH in the small boxes.On the subject of what triggers them to go into the moth stage, my opinion is age. It seems after about 3 wks. of growing time they will start spinning a cocoon ,no matter what size they are. Like you said, you can slow it down by refridgerating them. You need to see if you can locate some old honeycomb .Like I said earlier,The Baby cereal recipie is ok ,but they grow bigger and faster on the honey comb. If I get time over the weekend,I get on the web and see if I can help you out. Send me your mailing address and I'll send you some home grown waxworms. we'll continue this tomorrow. Planning on catching a few crappie in the morning.::::Norm

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
10-07-2005, 05:57 AM
I am gonna BUMP this, and several other threads back to the top. Everyone, stop exchanging barbs, and insults and get back on what we all hope to come to this board for. Thank you for your cooperation!

<,"}/>{ Tim Fahrenkrog

Minus 1
10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey Fellers and Fellerettes;

Lets get started on making babies.Get yourselves a couple 2lb. coffee cans. Punch a few tiny holes in the lid. Go to your local Wal_mart and pick up a box Gerbers mixed baby cereal, a pint jar of honey,and a bottle of glycerine ( behind counter in pharmacy ).Bee pollen capsules is optional. Pour the honey into a qt.jar, fill the empty honey jar 1/2 full of water, pour into the qt. jar,also the glycerine. Pour box of baby cereal into a mixing bowl. Add liquid ,mixing as you go. Mix this to a consistency of peanut butter. put 2 or 3 Table spoons on a sheet of wax paper. fold the paper over the top and roll out to about 1/4 ". cut in to a circle that will fit into the coffee can. Do as many of these as you can out of the mixture. Put one of these in the bottom of the cans. Freeze the rest of them. Put a couple small containers of waxworms in each can (50 or 60). Put the lids on, mark date on the cans and place in the hottest part of the house. Check them in about 3 wks. If you find moths in the cans,(live or dead) your babies won't be far behind. they may already be there.Newly hatched are hard to see.This should get you started. There are other things you need to know, but we got to get started first.Good luck.Let me know how you do. when you open the can and see the little ones crawling around ,makes you want to pass out cigars.. :D