Thread: Spawning Crappie smell?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning Crappie smell?

Recent post on smelling bream beds and crappie egg sacks brought
    this to mind -Do any of you notice a really funky, over-powering smell
    when cleaning crappie in the Spring? I wouldn't go so far as to say there
    is anything about crappie I don't like , but I'm usually glad when the
    spawn is over so I can quit smelling that while I'm cleaning fish! Can't
    really describe it, but it is "fishy" with a sharp twist to it, and as soon as
    they drop their eggs, it seems to go away. I always put fish straight on
    ice as I catch them, this may have something to do with it, I dunno.
    "Heeeere fishy-fishy, come feel my ice..."
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Jw ...

the only time I've experienced any "bad smells", when cleaning fish .... is when the stomach contents are exposed, and contain partially decomposed Shad. That smell is definitely a heavy "fishy" odor.
    I do check the stomach contents of fish I clean -- I want to know what they're feeding on, and what size bait they're consuming (whether it be the natural fauna of the lake -- or the minnows I "may" be using at the time :D )

The only "other" smell, that I've experienced while cleaning fish, that is more "pungent" than the odor of decomposed Shad ... is the smell of partially decomposed Crawfish Now that smell "reeks" ........LOL!! ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

ive never noticed a strong smell coming off fish when im cleaning em. be it known tho im not one to break a fart in the presence of my crew on a night stalk, being the refined individual i am, especially if im upwind but i cant say the same for them cowboys i fish with. they can be raunchy at times, but no, havent noticed anything when im cleaning fish.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed an oily fish smell if they've been feeding on shad when I check the stomach, but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary during the spawn.. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Hey J White:

I put my keepers in the livewell full of fresh water - lake water when it is below 80-degrees and well water and a gallon of ice when the lake water is too warm. Unless the crappie are injured by the hook they will remain alive until I clean them and I notice very little odor while cleaning them. Now the ones that die from hook injuries definitely have an odor, especially like CP mentioned - if you cut into the stomach. I prefer to clean fish while they are still alive but choose to believe that for the most part they are unconsious from lack of oxygen.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like that disclaimer you put in there for our PETA friends Jerry! LOL!

I too have noticed the oder I think you are referring to. It is somewhat of an acidy smell to me. It seems to be much stronger in 'Gills than Specks though. I rarely ever knick the stomach when I am filleting my fish, so that isn't the cause of where ever it comes from. Stinks to me though!

I have been known to slip and stab the knife into my palm though. :rolleyes: I still have a "pins & needles" finger left over from when I did so and severed a major nerve in the palm of my hand while cleaning a sink full of 'Gills! That brought out a few smells and cuss words too when that happened!

<,"}/>{Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    ive never noticed a strong smell coming off fish when im cleaning em. be it known tho im not one to break a fart in the presence of my crew on a night stalk, being the refined individual i am, especially if im upwind but i cant say the same for them cowboys i fish with. they can be raunchy at times, but no, havent noticed anything when im cleaning fish.
    Rango, you and I got to get together some day. There is no doubt in my mind we would get along just fine. :D
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Tim, sounds like you know the one I'm talking about! It is definitely
    "acid", with a dose of extra-strong fish smell too. It is not the poot or poop
    smell from stomach content I'm talking about, but yeah, shad can be pretty
    bad . And crawfish too, though I haven't seen many of them since I slowed way down on eating green carp. Come to think of it, seems like
    the filet board gets extra sticky when this is going on also. I think it is just
    the smell of the eggs I'm getting. I cut through them with the filet knife
    pretty often, if they are really loaded (not on purpose!) Next Spring, some
    of you stick your nose right in a big sack of eggs and see if you can smell it. But if ya'll really want to smell something that'll put you off your feed, try
    gutting a spoonbill! I would never think something that can put off that kind
    of smell can taste so good - I guess thats why I hardly ever eat any fresh
    caught - give it a week or so to forget that smell :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bump!

I am gonna BUMP this, and several other threads back to the top. Everyone, stop exchanging barbs, and insults and get back on what we all hope to come to this board for. Thank you for your cooperation!

<,"}/>{ Tim Fahrenkrog
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on what Jerry and CP said. I've always been taught that as long as the gills still have some pink to them the fish are not spoiled. Nonetheless, those that have passed or become unconscious can emit an odor that is a bit stronger than usual. Also, I've notice that a live crappie's meet is nearly translucient whereas others become white in color. But, after catching them again out of Lake Crisco, I haven't tasted any difference. Such is not the case with black or white bass.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]