Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Please Help Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Help Me.

Hi everyone

I am new to this site, and have come searching for help. I moved to the States 6 years ago from the United Kingdom, I now live in Ohio just outside Cincinnati, near Hueston Woods State Park.

While I was knowledgable in the art of fishing used in England and europe, since moving here I am at a loss. Bank fishing to me was everything. Lures and Jigs etc where something you used for Pike or Pearch.

So now I have a 6.5ft pole (bought here) and a shakespeare open faced reel which I brought with me. I couldn't use a baitcaster if you had a gun to my head. Also, I am still stuck in the mindset of using floats (bobbers) and putting a "carpet" of feed down and fishing over it. While this has proved reliable for catching at least something. I would like to advance to catching a better "stamp" of fish.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you can do is study in detail the species of fish you wish to target. Learning their own unique habits will help you zero in on them when fishing. Teaming up with a person who has good success or hiring a guide who is willing to share knowledge is also another. After that, just keep after it and experiement. I like to say when it comes to fishing that there is never "wrong" just "alternatives."
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome

SS99 it's good to have you on here. What Darryl said was VERY good advice. Also if the people from Ohio don't happen to see your post, you might post it also on the Ohio forum. The people on there might be able to help you locally and might even tell you a spot you could go to in your area where you could fish from the bank and feel a little more at home. If you start looking at guides and or buying a boat then the sky's the limit.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stateside99
    Hi everyone

I am new to this site, and have come searching for help. I moved to the States 6 years ago from the United Kingdom, I now live in Ohio just outside Cincinnati, near Hueston Woods State Park.

While I was knowledgable in the art of fishing used in England and europe, since moving here I am at a loss. Bank fishing to me was everything. Lures and Jigs etc where something you used for Pike or Pearch.

So now I have a 6.5ft pole (bought here) and a shakespeare open faced reel which I brought with me. I couldn't use a baitcaster if you had a gun to my head. Also, I am still stuck in the mindset of using floats (bobbers) and putting a "carpet" of feed down and fishing over it. While this has proved reliable for catching at least something. I would like to advance to catching a better "stamp" of fish.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
    another good idea may be to break down and hire a guide for a day. you may not want to spend the money, but i can promise you that 200 bucks spent on a good guide is worth about 2,000 to me if it helps me put fish in the boat. a guide can give you a good idea how fish your surrounding lakes. if nothing else, he or she can get you headed in the right direction. sounds like you've wet a hook before anyhow. you may just need to be steered the right way.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome, stateside99 - glad to have you here. I have been interested
    in the style of fishing you are used to, chumming, etc. As time goes by,
    you will probably find things you used to do that are useful crappie fishing
    too. I've had a lot of fun adapting stuff from saltwater, and other species
    of fish to crappie. Some of it you have to modify a little, some of it works
    in original form. One thing, you are used to light bites and long, sensitive
    rods from over the pond, aren't you? A mark in your favor already
    You might try chumming with dry dogfood - I have heard some folks do that
    to attract the minnows, and thus the crappie. But if you like catching catfish,
    just some blood, stink type stuff used the way you used to fish would
    probably work great! Oh, and did you ever fish for "Zander"? I think Walleye
    are a lot like them, and you should be able to find them around there, I
    believe. Good fishing to you!
    Last edited by J White; 10-06-2005 at 04:45 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Welcome Stateside99 ...

just keep reading the posts, and asking questions about our methods and techniques, equipment, bait preferrences, and waters. You'll get all the info you can handle ... :D ......... luck2ya .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talking You're in my backyard

Greetings! Are you associated with Miami U in Oxford?

We fish Acton Lake frequently and Rush Run in Camden the rest of the time. Your shore skills can come into play starting the 13th at Rush Run when the state releases a couple of thousand 10 - 13 inch rainbow trout (limit 5). The first couple of days, people stand darn near shoulder to shoulder, but after that, things calm down. The best place to shore fish for trout is on the dam in the bend nearest the ramp.
    Every release is a little different, but you can almost always pick up some under a bobber with waxworms. You can get supplies in Camden at Dan's Sportshop on Lafayette Street. Rush Run is managed for large bleugill, but you need to get out to the flooded timber for those, so that means a boat or float tube - or wait until ice up.

Acton's shore fishing is best in spring at the Sugar Camp pier. We used to like to jig around the docks, but the state put gates blocking access after several incidents of vandalism last year. You can still catch some bluegills and the ocassional crappie off the pier, but it's more hit or miss this time of year. Channel cats are fairly plentiful there, too.
    If you have waders, get into the weeds along the shore left of the parking lot at the Sugar Camp to pick up LM bass. Nothing under 15 inches may be kept.

Duck and goose season starts on the 22nd, so be aware of that. The hunters use blinds out on or near the water. There's one on the south side of the island near the SG pier.

Good luckand post your experiences on the Ohio forum. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Hi Roberta

Thanks for the reply.

No Im not associated with M U. Although my wife did work there. Thanks for the info on where to fish on Acton Lake. Any information on Rush Run. Eg. I have a 14ft canoe with a trolling motor. Are motors allowed? How big is the place?

Does MU have a fishing/crappie club? if so how often do they meet? is it for staff and students only?

Thanks Again

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your canoe is perfect for Rush Run

Lots of fly fishermen take their canoes, float tubes and kayaks there to fish. Until last year, it was an electric motor only lake (which is what we use), but now allows 10 HP. It's rare that anyone fires up a gas motor.
    The lake is about 58 acres, mostly flooded timber that is hard to pick your way thorugh in some boats, but not a canoe. The deepest part of the lake is close to 30feet deep and the channels running up the fingers are about 16. Nice bleugills are hanging on the timber at about 12 feet deep. Drop a fly or a #10 baitholder hook with a waxie for them. I don't use a bobber and never take my finger off the line. There are lot sof 7 1/2 -9 inch fish in there

The lake also has some crappie, though we've never found them, lots of small bass, with the ocassional lunker and a fair number of channel cat. Working along the rocks on the dam can yield almost anything. Beware the monster snapping turtles and grass carp. It's also a great place to bird watch.

Idon't know if MU has a fishing club or not They have a sculling crew that docks out at Acton. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bump!

I am gonna BUMP this, and several other threads back to the top. Everyone, stop exchanging barbs, and insults and get back on what we all hope to come to this board for. Thank you for your cooperation!

<,"}/>{ Tim Fahrenkrog
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids