Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Boat

Since we are doing cars how about your first boat of your own. Mine was a 14 foot monarch painted MSU maroon with a 9.9 Johnson and great trailer. Was 10 years old when I bought it and ran like a champ. I borrowed $1000 from my local bank on a 12 month note. I ran trot lines for 6 months nearly everyday to catch catfish to sell to pay for the boat. Back when river cats would bring good money. Now that boat truly paid for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya dang copy cat. Now what am I gonna post on Wednesday? :D:D

I've gotta find ya'll some pics of my first boat. It was doozy too. Old cathedral hulled fiberglass boat (can't remember the make) that my brother had stripped and put decks on with 3/4" treated plywood and 2x4s. Actually floated nose down with all the weight. And it was wired up so gawsh awful it'd make DD blush. Did have a sweet 25HP Merc with electric start on it though, but the steering was the old clothes line and rollers deal and kept jumping off the pulleys. Oh and the trailer - not a straight line on it. So many crooks that somehow the wheels ran straight. LOL. Got it on the cheap when he bought a Champion.

Ya'll wouldn't believe it unless you saw it.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

My first boat I bought was a 1542 Alweld flatbottom with a 35 Merc tiller I bought the rig new in 87 and still fish out of it today. We used it to push a barge across the chute when we hunted on and island in the Mississippi river and it has hauled several 4 wheelers across the chute so it has been through it all. The bottom of the boat looks like a washboard from jumping logs when we used it for duckhunting. It is rertired to nothing but crappie fishing now and my dad uses it about 3 or 4 times a week. The old 35 merc is getting a little tired and have been thing about repowering it but probably won't till the 35 gives it up. Through all that the boat has never leaked a drop!

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

1974 Monarch bass boat with an ancient 55 Evinrude. Bought it when I was 16.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

First one I bought myself was a 15' fish n ski Starcraft w a 90 Nissan.
    All in all it was a good one, but shore weren't no room in it! If you carried
    so much as a single 48 qt cooler, you had to step over it to get anywhere.
    Only floor was between the two consoles, and just big enough for the
    cooler to sit down in. Had bearing buddies with blown seals - just put
    a couple shots of grease in each side every time I got home and it worked.
    Grease was cheap and easier than working on it - no telling how many tubes
    of grease I slung out up and down the road
    Shoals Area Crappie Association