Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: questions about blacknose crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions about blacknose crappie

I have only lived here in Southern Middle Tennessee for about four months now. I regularly fish Tims Ford. Where I moved from in Alabama, we didnt have blacknose crappie. 90% of the crappie I catch here on Tims are blacknose. Some people here think that if they are not blacknose crappie, then they are white crappie. This is not true, you still have a white and a black crappie species. I have yet to catch a white crappie here. The question I have is that some people think that the blacknose crappie do not reproduce in this lake since they were released here by the game and fish. Why do they think this? Is it because they think hatchery fish dont reproduce. One guy told me they released thousands of blacknose crappie between 6 and 9 inches long just a few years ago. I have caught several fingerlings about 3 to 4 inches long. This tells me they are reproducing. Any thoughts from others here?

Post Thanks / Like

i live in va and we have the blacknose in buggs inland.i ask the fish bio and he told me that they didn`t stock them in the lake that it was a albino black crappie.they put up a good fight and are a hole lot thicker than the black crappie.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

We have them in my home lake, in Louisiana, and this lake has never been stocked. They are not rare, here, but they are not common either. Crappiepappy has researched it a great deal and is the authority on it.---Pooch

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave
    i live in va and we have the blacknose in buggs inland.i ask the fish bio and he told me that they didn`t stock them in the lake that it was a albino black crappie.they put up a good fight and are a hole lot thicker than the black crappie.
    Hey Dave, Come on down and help us get the Virginia forum going. But certainly keep posting here too. Where in Va do you fish?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

okay crappiepappy what can you say on this subject?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Blacknose Crappie ....

The Arkansas Blacknose Black Crappie is a "Black Crappie" .... same as all the other Black Crappie, in all other waters. It originated in the White River in Arkansas, where it occurs naturally - but not in great numbers. Arkansas biologists used these fish to do studies, since they could be easily identified from any other Crappie, in the waters they were studying. The black stripe down the nose of these Crappie is nothing more than a genetic marker - a mutated pigmentation marking. They are not "hybrids" or "crossbreeds". And they are not "mules" (sterile).
    The Blacknose is stocked by the departments of Fish & Wildlife of many states, to do management studies - to evaluate Crappie stockings as a management option to improve Crappie fishing in selected waters. They have also been "released", by accident, due to flooding of the holding ponds & breeding ponds they're kept in.
    For those of you reading this thread - that have never seen a Blacknose Crappie .........
    Jeannie Poe of CrappieStuff.com has a pretty good picture of one she caught from KY Lake, on her website:
    http://www.crappiestuff.com/albums/a...760/115292.htm

Hope this clears up some of the misconceptions arising from some of the articles and posts that have occurred in the past ... including my own. (see, I told you all I wasn't an "expert" ...LOL!!) ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Crappiepappy, so I was right in my assessment. They seem to be doing well here on Tims Ford because I catch alot of them. Like you said, they are easy to tell apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Hey Dave, Come on down and help us get the Virginia forum going. But certainly keep posting here too. Where in Va do you fish?

i fish in buggs inland from bluestone creek to eastland creek.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA