Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big bait rig??

Post Thanks / Like

Question Big bait rig??

If I wanted to fish with a live blue gill or shell cracker how would I go about rigging it? When the bait dies how do I rig it then. Will a basic carolina rig with a 1 or 2 oz wieght work? What are your favorite rigs? I mostly will be anchoring on a point and casting to deep and shallow water while having a couple of down rods at the boat.

I have heard to cut the tail fins so the fish don't swim and get hung up and look injured. But I don't know. Also do you hook the bait up by the head or tail?

Thanks for the help FA.
    My addiction is a cure not a disease.

Post Thanks / Like

yes your basic carolina rig with work, i personally like using a 3 way. on weight will depend if your fishing in current and no current. when im fishing with live bait i like using a shorter leader for they dont swim around to much but everybody has there on opinion on that are you fishing for blues or flatheads??
    Levi

Post Thanks / Like

forgot to add another one of my favorite rigs is fishing under a float it can be very productive !!
    Levi

Post Thanks / Like

At Toledo Bend we cut one of the side fins so that they swim in a circle when excited or at least that is the concept. Used to catch strippers near the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishstick View Post
    yes your basic carolina rig with work, i personally like using a 3 way. on weight will depend if your fishing in current and no current. when im fishing with live bait i like using a shorter leader for they dont swim around to much but everybody has there on opinion on that
    PHP Code:
    are you fishing for blues or flatheads?? 
    I'm fishing for either one, just trying to get one over 20lbs. I want to try and catch a big one and they say bream will do it. Problem is just about every live bream I put on gets hung up. I could cast into a mud flat with no structure and still get hung up. The problem I'm having with the bigger cut bait is after about 5 min. the turtles have it gone. Gonna keep trying though.
    My addiction is a cure not a disease.