PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Side Imaging Question

APKape
08-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I've got my mind set on purchasing one of the Hummingbird Side Imaging sonars. Right now I'm looking at the 798, with hopes that I can afford the 997. What I wanted to know is, for all of you guys that have the 798, what do you think of it? Is the five inch screen large enough for you to view the images from the Side Imaging? Is the Side Imaging all that it's cracked up to be? The 798 has 4000 watts of peak power, the 997 has 8000 watts. Is the 798's image clear enough that the 8000 watts of the 997 is not really needed? Just wanted to know what you guys thought about your units. Thanks for the help.

wildhunter066
08-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Im with u on side images really lookin hard at buyin.Caint help u with any of that stuff but the nerds.net is the cheapiest i found so far.

mduncan62
08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I've got a 797, and I like it. What you can't do is buy the smaller unit, and think you are going to be able to run it on 150ft each side. Yes you can, but what you'll actually be able to see will be minimal. I normally run mine on 30 ft each side tops. If you run one side only you'll get the best image.

Would I pay an extra grand for the 997, No. I wouldn't want the biggest unit either. I really don't use the SI very much, unless the fishing is very bad. I spend most of my time on the water fishing, so it just doesn't get used that much.

The best use I've found is if I'm trying to get a gps route on a new area and want to know that I'm laying down a safe route, It works very well for that.

Enjoy whatever unit you buy.

APKape
08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I've got a 797, and I like it. What you can't do is buy the smaller unit, and think you are going to be able to run it on 150ft each side. Yes you can, but what you'll actually be able to see will be minimal. I normally run mine on 30 ft each side tops. If you run one side only you'll get the best image.

Would I pay an extra grand for the 997, No. I wouldn't want the biggest unit either. I really don't use the SI very much, unless the fishing is very bad. I spend most of my time on the water fishing, so it just doesn't get used that much.

The best use I've found is if I'm trying to get a gps route on a new area and want to know that I'm laying down a safe route, It works very well for that.

Enjoy whatever unit you buy.

That's an interesting point. Can you go more in detail on how you use the side imaging for navigating new water?

Buckwheat 1
08-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I have the 797 and it works good. The screen is hard to read in sunlight sometimes. The larger screen would be nice if you are real serious about it. You need to make sure what you want.....lots of money! If I had it to do over, I would shy away from the side image. You will like the graphics on the humminbird though.

APKape
08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I have the 797 and it works good. The screen is hard to read in sunlight sometimes. The larger screen would be nice if you are real serious about it. You need to make sure what you want.....lots of money! If I had it to do over, I would shy away from the side image. You will like the graphics on the humminbird though.

Besides the screen is hard to read, is there anything else you don't like about the unit?

Buckwheat 1
08-23-2009, 08:01 PM
No, the only complaint I would have is the ability to make out the images on the screen. I do just like mduncan....run 1 side at 45ft. to get a legible image. Other than that I can say you will love it. The GPS graphics are great!

kazualobzerver
08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Gonna throw in my two cents. Know of a few folks that have purchased SI units only to get disheartened and give up on the side imaging aspects. Like anything it takes time and patience and you have to orient yourself differently than with a standard LCR. Agree with Buckwheat, great graphics. Some of the Lake Ozark guys swear by them. One of the HB pro staff guys I know will take you out in your boat and help you understand the unit, let me know if you think that could help. In my opinion they do have the best customer service in the electronics industry right now, you can get thru to people at the factory and they are responsive if you have issues. But don't expect that you are going to turn the unit on the first time and know everything there is to know about side imaging.

Camalama
08-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I'll throw my $.02 in here too... I have a 997. Got a bass boat and the 997 this past spring. Just like all electronics, you have to trust them to be able to use them. I don't care how good they are, if you don't trust them, you won't use them. The SI truly shines when you are looking for schooling fish. They are easy to see and you can search a wide area. Also, a bit deeper water is better. We were using ours today to locate schools of shad to find the white bass. First time I've used it for this. We picked up a couple extra fish because of it. Unfortuneatly I haven't had the chance to look for schooled crappie yet, but I would imagine it would be very similar. The thing about the side imaging is you have to be moving for it to work. So to get the most out of it, you would scan the area you plan to fish to find the schooled fish, mark those spots with your GPS and then go back and target those specific fish.
Yahoo! Side Imaging Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/) is a great resource with lots of pictures.

HairyVetch
08-24-2009, 07:50 AM
I own a 798 and have used it ~ 8 months and I fish several times a week. I agree that the screen is so small it is hard to make out objects on the bottom with the range extended. I have slowed the scroll speed way down and this helped and I can see how displaying 1 side would help as well. For me the side imaging unit has not helped me catch a single fish. A good map and GPS is what I depend on to find fish.

beagle man
08-24-2009, 08:04 AM
well I have had the 797 for two years and I like it. I also have learned to use the single side capablities,and it is nice, I like to scan the bank and find them big ole root balls, and laydowns, you can see the rootball and trunk verry well, and I have found standing trees, cedar I think out in the middle of the lake I didnt know were there. and I like the maps also, like Harry Vetch stated, good map and good gps is a great help. go to new lake and you have the map with you. good luck

gatorbitu
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I've got my mind set on purchasing one of the Hummingbird Side Imaging sonars. Right now I'm looking at the 798, with hopes that I can afford the 997. What I wanted to know is, for all of you guys that have the 798, what do you think of it? Is the five inch screen large enough for you to view the images from the Side Imaging? Is the Side Imaging all that it's cracked up to be? The 798 has 4000 watts of peak power, the 997 has 8000 watts. Is the 798's image clear enough that the 8000 watts of the 997 is not really needed? Just wanted to know what you guys thought about your units. Thanks for the help.

I am also looking to purchase a side imaging unit and talked to a dealer about them. He said to wait until closer to the end of the year because humminbird will have a new model that is in between the large and small models. He said it will have a 7in screen and run about $1500. He said a few other upgrades will be made to all models as well. I think the side imaging is like everything else, you just have to put in the time to learn to use it to get its full capabilities. I think I will wait for the new size before I buy one, but I do intend to get one for sure.

DMW1960
08-24-2009, 10:14 AM
One Thing About It No Matter How Good Your Unit Is It Still Isn't Going To Make Them Bite! I Have Been Wanting To Get One Of Those Underwater Camera's To Make Sure That Those Fish I Am Seeing With My Sonar Are Crappie Or Not. Anyone Ever Owned One Of Them?

APKape
08-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I am also looking to purchase a side imaging unit and talked to a dealer about them. He said to wait until closer to the end of the year because humminbird will have a new model that is in between the large and small models. He said it will have a 7in screen and run about $1500. He said a few other upgrades will be made to all models as well. I think the side imaging is like everything else, you just have to put in the time to learn to use it to get its full capabilities. I think I will wait for the new size before I buy one, but I do intend to get one for sure.

I've heard that from the sale people at Bass Pro and Cabela's. I didn't know what the new models were and they didn't really know either. Thanks for the info.

kazualobzerver
08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I Have Been Wanting To Get One Of Those Underwater Camera's To Make Sure That Those Fish I Am Seeing With My Sonar Are Crappie Or Not. Anyone Ever Owned One Of Them?

No but went with a guy that did. No benefit in water color like Truman and you need to figure out a system to keep it pointed the direction you want to look. We were on Stockton trying to look around brush piles and were like a couple of village idiots with the thing. If you were anchored stationary it might be interesting but not using the trolling motor.

gatorbitu
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
One Thing About It No Matter How Good Your Unit Is It Still Isn't Going To Make Them Bite! I Have Been Wanting To Get One Of Those Underwater Camera's To Make Sure That Those Fish I Am Seeing With My Sonar Are Crappie Or Not. Anyone Ever Owned One Of Them?

I had one of the aquaviews when they came out. They have a pretty good pic but you can't see more than a couple of feet out from the camera. It also pretty hard to know which way the camera is pointing if you are sitting still. I used mine a lot when I first got it but after a few months I started to lose interest in it. I sold it about a year ago because it was drawing dust.:) I do think the ones on the market now have some better features and better lighting for stained water.

Kit Papermouth
08-24-2009, 12:15 PM
If I had my druthers I would have purchased the 997. I found the resolution is better on my buddies 997 and you can actually see fish in the brush. My 797 doesn't have the ump pa pa to get 'er done.

If your a tournament fisherman, I'd opt for the 997 or better.

If you only use your boat 10 times a year and fish the same waters, I'd go with the 798 or just stick with the 2D imagers and save some $$.

coyote
08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
I fished with a guide this summer who had a 997 that he had bought last year. He turned it on for a few minutes and then turned it off. He knew where he was going and how we were going to fish so he didn't need it that day. I also have been thinking about getting one but couldn't justify the money, big screen or small. I asked him this question, "If I offered you a full refund right now for your 997, would you take it or keep the unit." He hesitated way to long, that was my answer.

MUDDYH2OSLAB
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Side imaging VERY worth the money. We have found so much stuff with it. Woul like to have the lager screen though. Humminbirds supportis the best.

APKape
08-25-2009, 07:45 AM
I'd like to thank all the members that posted a reply. This really helps in my decision when considering the Side Imaging sonar. So thanks again for all the opinions and advice.

coyote
08-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Proof of Performance | Lowrance (http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Broadband-Sounder-and-Ethernetworking/StructureScan/Proof-of-Performance/)

Lowrance with down scan and si

gatorbitu
08-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Proof of Performance | Lowrance (http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Broadband-Sounder-and-Ethernetworking/StructureScan/Proof-of-Performance/)

Lowrance with down scan and si

Holly cow! That is some amazing clear pics, sure don't have to guess at what your seeing. Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of this before now.

tab
08-25-2009, 05:23 PM
I run both a 997 and a 1197. I have been in a few boats with people that run the 798. There is a lot bigger difference between the 997 and the 798 then most people think. where a 798 is good up to 50 ft. a 997 is great up to 100 ft on both sides. If you take the time to learn the unit it is unbeleavable what you can do with it. With the 997 you can count the limbs in a brush pile along with how many fish are holding in it. You can also determine whether the fish are suspended over the top or deep in the brush. I trust it enough now that I will scan spots before I fish them and if it doesn't show fish I dont stop. You can't tell the difference between white bass and crappie but can tell wether or not the fish are in the right size range to be a crappie.

crappiencali
08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
TAb you got a PM.

Jigging15
08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!

rwindis
08-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I hope this link works but if not I think you can get to the tacklewharehouse site and check on the icast09 vidoes. This shows the new products coming out by Hummingbird. They also have a video on the new Minn Kota I pilot.

Tackle Warehouse Inside iCast 2009 (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icast09.html?ccode=ICASTHUMM01)

Tackle Warehouse Inside iCast 2009 (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icast09.html?ccode=ICASTHUMM01)

APKape
08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I hope this link works but if not I think you can get to the tacklewharehouse site and check on the icast09 vidoes. This shows the new products coming out by Hummingbird. They also have a video on the new Minn Kota I pilot.

Looks like some interesting things from HB and MK.

I like the underwater map contour upgrade. I also like that there is a model between the 700 and 900. The prices on these units are still too steep in my opinion. Hoped in introduction of the Lowrance models drives prices down. One thing I really don't like about the fish finder lines is they make you buy a new unit every time there's an upgrade.

For MK, I've got to say that I like the fact that this company puts out new product packages that you can add on to exiting models. They don't make you buy a new trolling motor every time there is a new upgrade/feature they put out. The internal GPS is great. I've got the autopilot with copilot and I've got to tell you, I've impressed with that alone. The hovering doesn't work real well, but point the autopilot somewhere, it'll take you there with minimal input.

sparky197
08-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I just bought a 798 off of ebay from Poor Fish. It had the navionics already downloaded. The price was 869 including shipping. Look at poor fish's feedback and you will see my purchase. I don't have any problems seeing structure on the 798. Brush is a little fuzzy but you know when you scan what a clear bank looks like and when there is structure. I mainly just look for structure, it is hard to tell how many fish are on a brush pile but yesterday I scanned what I always thought was a concrete bridge abutment but it turned out it was a large tree 8ft in diameter that had been sheared off. It only had 3 short limbs and the rest of the tree has a laydown next to it. I could plainly see the school of crappie where in the limbs and right above the trunk, not down beside the laydown. I would have spent almost double on the 997, I can't justify it. I scan then get on my trolling motor and use my lowr. m68c and it will show how many and how big the fish and I can tell on it very easily what are crappie and what are white bass. I have 1200 in both units.