Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville CDC Tourney/ 8-22-09

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville CDC Tourney/ 8-22-09

Sat morning was a beautiful day. The lake was about 4' high and they were pulling out all they could. MOfishmgr (Jake) said he thought the lake turned over a couple of days earlier. Absolutely lousy conditions but everybody caught some fish. I want to thank everyone who showed up. Thanks Jake for the GPS tips.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to help. I was out at the lake again today working and the main lake has really cleared up so yes I think the turbidity was due to turnover. Can't wait to get out again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    Glad to help. I was out at the lake again today working and the main lake has really cleared up so yes I think the turbidity was due to turnover. Can't wait to get out again.
    Jack, on average how many times a year does the lake turnover?
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Usually once in the spring as the cold upper layer of water warms to the same as the bottom layer and once in the fall as the warm upper layer cools to about the same as the bottom layer. The lakes become stratified in the summer and winter when the upper layer develops such a large temperature difference from the bottom layer they can't mix.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems awful early for that but everything has been way off this summer so why not that
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it's early. But the water temps never really got hot. Our highest water temp at Smithville was 81. We normally reach the upper 80's on the main lake with low 90's in the coves. So the water temps didn't have as far to drop with the last cold spell. Add in a heavy rain event and high winds and the energy is there to roll the lake over. High winds can roll a lake over on its own. Only time will tell if we re-stratify.