Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville 8/23

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 8/23

I wanted to start off by saying thanks to all that came yesterday at the Smithville W Bridge Tournament. Had a great time and can't wait for the next one. How about making this a monthly thing? Anyone have any thoughts?

Now on to todays fishing report. Since the Little Platte side of the lake was dingy, I decided to try the Camp Branch side. And I've got to tell ya, it was a lot cleaner on that side of the lake. From the bridge by the marina to the power lines, the water was pretty dingy. When you rounded the point by the youth camp site, water clarity was a lot better.

I started fishing area 1 today. I've seen the large tree line that extends from shore into the lake and wanted to always try them to see what would bite. Well today, nothing did. Me and another guy plowed right into the thick of those trees and gave up after about 20 minutes of not catching a thing. We kept getting interrupted buy a couple of guys fishing the submerged trees just north of the small island (Area 2). These old fella's were hootin' and hollerin' having a good old time reeling in the crappie. Bad thing was most were too small - seen them throwing a lot back.

After Area 1 was a bust, I headed north to Area 3. I finally found the biting crappie. They were in about 25' FOW and 8-15' deep. The key was to find a tight bunch of vertical tree limbs that came out the water. They were right in the middle of the clump of limbs. I landed a hand full of 10"+ fish, and a ton of dinks. The dinks were almost or pushing keeper sized. I was eye-balling them, so I always error on the side of caution and throw what I think are small back in (I need one of those crappie measuring boxes).

Water in Area 1 was 77 degrees with about a foot of visibility. Area 3 was 77 degrees and two feet of visibility. I was using tube jigs with 1/16 oz weights. I was tying them two to a line and 12" apart. Colors used where blue/white, blue/chart, black/chart. And the best bite was on black/chart with blue/chart second.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by APKape; 08-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

outstanding report, glad y'all had a good time

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the day and great report!

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout one in June, July and August. $5 for big fish and $10 for best 5 fish. Two people per boat with one being a cdc member. You can fish and not particicipate in the money part of it if you so choose. Maybe this format will appeal to most everybody. Maybe take the fish and clean them and have a get together/fisf fry at a picnic site afterwords.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double D View Post
    How 'bout one in June, July and August. $5 for big fish and $10 for best 5 fish. Two people per boat with one being a cdc member. You can fish and not particicipate in the money part of it if you so choose. Maybe this format will appeal to most everybody. Maybe take the fish and clean them and have a get together/fisf fry at a picnic site afterwords.
    I think the price is good; fair, and won't break the bank. Maybe we can do one in September and October too. Crappie fishing is easier and the fish will be larger. We could also choose to have a larger pot for the last tournament of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Took the dog out for a run and a swim sunday morning by the free ramp.Water looked like it dropped 8 inches already.Lots of floating trees that are drifting off the banks/logjams as the level drops-water wasn't as muddy as I thought for the conditions.Didn't fish,so no report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Took the dog out for a run and a swim sunday morning by the free ramp.Water looked like it dropped 8 inches already.Lots of floating trees that are drifting off the banks/logjams as the level drops-water wasn't as muddy as I thought for the conditions.Didn't fish,so no report.
    I was up in that area on Tournament day. That area had about 6" of clarity.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding report as usual Alex!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Outstanding report as usual Alex!
    Thanks Jack. I was hoping you would have reconsidered joining us on Saturday. I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe we'll twist your arm the next time the guys get together. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report and congrats on the catch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast