Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Brewer Crappie lures,which color for water clarity?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Charlie Brewer Crappie lures,which color for water clarity?

This thread,...and question,...has to do with choosing the right colors for differing water clarity situations. I am looking at buying some crappie lures
    so that I can not only learn how to fish them correctly,but also choose the right colors for various water clarity situations. I want to try some Charlie Brewer Whirly Bees and Pro-Whirly Bees. For clear water,what colors should I consider using,...for stained water,...and for muddy water conditions? I like
    Chartreuse,white,watermelon,Tennessee Shad,Blue Gill,etc. I am seeing these in my latest Charlie Brewer Slider catalog. What about mini cranks from Rapala,Cabela's,etc. I want to try those,too. I am tired of wasting money on live bait,...mostly minnows,...only to end up throwing them out after a day
    of little to no fish caught. It's time for me to step from live bait and start using artificial baits,...mainly on the crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

clear water - solid white
    dark water - solid black
    all water colors inbetween - solid chartreuse

See my PM, also.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear- White, and Junebug/chart, and any shad colors

Stained- pink/white, junebug/chart, orange/white, john deere, black/chart

Muddy- Orange/white, pink/white, Chart/black tail, black/chart. tail.

CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default a good direction

clear water: lighter color
    dark or muddy water: darker color

keep trying different colors, never know which one they want on any given day

:D

Post Thanks / Like

Out here in AZ the minnows are expensive so I stick with artificals only. This past few years I have been using Gulp! Minnows and this past year I have been really impressed with the Realistix minnows in Shad color made by Berkley. JMO!
    TeamCSJE

Post Thanks / Like

actually i been using sliders for over a year now and i have a few go to colors for certain lakes, i find they generally always work good at all lakes i go to. Buy some colors and go fish, they do work well, Ive caught so many different species of fish off them

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up As far as Charlie Brewer's baits ......

... the Slider Grubs are very good, and the color selection leaves you plenty of choices to cover all water clarities.
    I tend to go more towards color combo's that contrast ... in order to cover most all light & water clarity situations. Junebug/Chartreuse is my main color combo, in the CB collection. I use it in the Slider Grub/jighead rig, that I cast to cover & shoot docks with. I also use the Whirly Bee, in the same color combo. Though I have mainly used a Whirly Bee for a cast/retrieve bait & trolling bait ... I have, on occasion, even used it to shoot docks with But, due to its open hook & flat head design, it does have a tendancy to hang up ... so I always use it on my outfit with 10/2 PowerPro braid.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    ... the Slider Grubs are very good, and the color selection leaves you plenty of choices to cover all water clarities.
    I tend to go more towards color combo's that contrast ... in order to cover most all light & water clarity situations. Junebug/Chartreuse is my main color combo, in the CB collection. I use it in the Slider Grub/jighead rig, that I cast to cover & shoot docks with. I also use the Whirly Bee, in the same color combo. Though I have mainly used a Whirly Bee for a cast/retrieve bait & trolling bait ... I have, on occasion, even used it to shoot docks with But, due to its open hook & flat head design, it does have a tendancy to hang up ... so I always use it on my outfit with 10/2 PowerPro braid.

... cp
    Thanks,CrappiePappy,...I will keep these tips in mind when I go to choose
    what color combinations and type of fishing I am going to do that day.
    So,if I am mainly going to cast and retrieve,your suggestions are the Whirly
    Bees,and if I am casting to cover/shooting docks,use the Slider Grub/Jighead
    style rig. The line I use is Berkley XL for open water(6 lb. test)and Berkley XT
    for cover and docks(same pound test line).

Post Thanks / Like

Clear with colored glitter or white with gold and silver and black glitter.
    Allatoona Bandit

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It's what I use, Lundman ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lundman A-14 View Post
    Thanks,CrappiePappy,...I will keep these tips in mind when I go to choose
    what color combinations and type of fishing I am going to do that day.
    So,if I am mainly going to cast and retrieve,your suggestions are the Whirly
    Bees,and if I am casting to cover/shooting docks,use the Slider Grub/Jighead
    style rig. The line I use is Berkley XL for open water(6 lb. test)and Berkley XT
    for cover and docks(same pound test line).
    .... but, it's not the "be all, end all" solution to all situations

I cast/retrieve a jighead/tube rig, alot more often than I do with a Whirly Bee, or even a Roadrunner. This is especially true when the fish are most likely to be very close to or down in the cover. I use a weedless jighead/tube for probing around in those conditions. But, when the cover is sparse and scattered, and the Crappie are suspended above it, then I use the Whirly Bee as a "search" bait ... whether casting or trolling it. When I used it for dock shooting ... the dock was sufficiently open enough to allow it to be flipped/cast/shot under it. There is one small drawback to a Whirly Bee, though ... the blade can come off ... either from repeated snagging, or repeated banging into the side of a dock :p (BTDT) That little plastic retainer collar can break, so you might want to add a small piece of plastic grub, between the blade swivel and hook barb, just to help hold it on. It will still catch fish, without the blade ... but, without the blade, it's just a oversized jig :p

On straight cast/retrieve & dock shooting ... I use solid body tubes, Panfish Assassins, and/or the CB Slider grubs. Each has it's own unique action, so I usually switch among these until the fish tell me which one to use. I'm using them on a 1/16oz or 1/32oz weedless jighead (depending on fall rate needed) because I'm usually putting the jig into snaggy situations

In the event that you haven't seen it, yet .... here's an article I wrote, explaining a presentation method I use. It's more for regular jigs (hair/feather) or jighead/plastics rigs, than for Sliders ... but, I can't say that Sliders wouldn't work, just that I haven't tried using them with this presentation method. I call (named) the method - "Vertical Casting" :
    Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting

... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast