Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville 8/20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 8/20

Lake is real high, water is dingy, and the water temp is 77 degrees. Caught nothing tonight. Put out at the Little Platte and tried to go north of W bridge. Hit my head on the bottom of the bridge and decided to turned back. Saturday is going to be rough fishing.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe turn it into an any species turnnie?

Post Thanks / Like

There was a bass tournament last night. I asked a couple of guys how they were doing. They were having a tough time.

Post Thanks / Like

It is REAL tough fishing right now. Went yesterday as well and the bite was SLOW. Fished south of W for about 3 hours. I ended up with 7 keepers and 25 or so shorts. Buddy caught 2 keepers and 5 shorts. 23-30 foot of water and I would count to 13 with a double rig(1/32 oz) and 4 lb test. Orange/chartreuse and blue/white. Big fish weighed right at 1.1 Did watch some guys that found some active fish just south of W bridge on the east side. We were fishing in the trees closeby(first cove to the east) when I caught the 1.1 The water is really high and dingy, tough conditions. No water is being let out, so it should help clear up the water south of W some. Too much flooding on the river to release water right now. Good luck to everyone saturday. May stop by and see how everyone did around noon or so. Pictures suck, but they were taken with cell phone. God bless.
    Last edited by Crappie Executioner; 08-21-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    "Confidence in your God given abilities will add more crappie to your daily limit!"

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Mike , Just drove over the dam they are starting to let some water out slow. Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The Corps pulled the plug today. Don't know the exact discharge rate (site info 3 days old) but the water was roaring. Smelled like sulphur. First time I've noticed that. Does anyone know if the water is discharged from the bottom of the lake, the top... or somewhere in between? Water from the bottom would probably smell just like it does during turnover. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie View Post
    The Corps pulled the plug today. Don't know the exact discharge rate (site info 3 days old) but the water was roaring. Smelled like sulphur. First time I've noticed that. Does anyone know if the water is discharged from the bottom of the lake, the top... or somewhere in between? Water from the bottom would probably smell just like it does during turnover. Just curious.
    Last night the lake smelled like it turned over. I was reading about how the debris from below the thermocline comes to the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out on Smithville yesterday with my former boss who does water quality work for the Corps now. The Theromcline is gone! Oxygen levels were fairly low at 4 ppm until you got to 34 feet, then it was gone. Most of the oxygen was near the surface. The lake should be turning over with the wind today. Tomorrow may be tough!

Post Thanks / Like

Lake turning over in August? Thought that usually happened in late October or November. Has the inflow from the storms been colder than the water below the thermocline? Or has it been the sheer volume, combined with the wind action that just mixed it all up.

Planning to take a couple of friends out for some casual crappie fishing tomorrow afternoon/evening ... where would you look?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie View Post
    Lake turning over in August? Thought that usually happened in late October or November. Has the inflow from the storms been colder than the water below the thermocline? Or has it been the sheer volume, combined with the wind action that just mixed it all up.

Planning to take a couple of friends out for some casual crappie fishing tomorrow afternoon/evening ... where would you look?
    Try the first cove southeast of W bridge and also the first treeline southwest of W. Fish the trees on the edges and hold tight to structure(you'll find the structure under the water with your depth finder, that's where I've been catching a few, didn't want to give out too many secrets before the tournament ). Good luck. If you just want to catch crappie, under the W bridge you can catch as many as you would like under the bridge by about any of the pillars. If you get bored, move to the next set of pillars. Make sure to take two sets of extra rope with you so you can tie to both sets of pillars to steady your boat. Let me know how you do Mark. God bless.
    "Confidence in your God given abilities will add more crappie to your daily limit!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast