Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wind still shuts fish down.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind still shuts fish down.

Went to my favorite lake again yesterday. The forecast was for sunny skies with 10-20 MPH winds. I decided to leave my boat at home and just fish off the docks at the Marina. We started catching Crappie right away but when the wind started picking up the fish just shut down. The wind got up to 35 MPH and we didn't catch anything until the wind backed down to about 15 MPH, and then we started catching again. We ended up with 34 nice Crappie up to 13-1/2 inches, and 2 drum.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone eaten Drum before? My buddy wanted to try it so I fillet the 2 we had for him. The meat looked like Bass fillets. I was always told it was white and mushie but this was firm meat.

Post Thanks / Like

In cold water we used to eat them a lot like catfish. But the meat is course. Been lots of drunks fed Drum and enjoyed it.LOL
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I ain't believing drum are good eating till the guy telling me has a basket full of fillets he is eating. And carcasses out in kitchen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    Went to my favorite lake again yesterday. The forecast was for sunny skies with 10-20 MPH winds. I decided to leave my boat at home and just fish off the docks at the Marina. We started catching Crappie right away but when the wind started picking up the fish just shut down. The wind got up to 35 MPH and we didn't catch anything until the wind backed down to about 15 MPH, and then we started catching again. We ended up with 34 nice Crappie up to 13-1/2 inches, and 2 drum.

Eager, it wasnt by chance that you didnt feel the bites? When the wind picks up I up size to 1/8 or 3/16 jig just to feel the bite. Usually then wind will put a bow in the line making bites are to detect.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

yup i have eaten drum, they were pretty good, but were about 1 pound and hot out of the oil

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73-
    we were just using minnows yesterday because the wind was suppose to blow pretty good so just fished off of the dock. The rods I use are very ultra lite and you can feel everything with them. It seems that on this piticular lake which is very clear. The Crappie just shut down and the Bluegill come to the surface and swim about a foot below the surface, when the wind gets up to 20 MPH or better. I drop the bait down and watch the line as it drops and can usually detect a bite if they hit on the way down. If they hit on the way down the line will stop or jump just a slight bit, or in some cases they will just about take the rod out of My hand. After the wind calmed down to around 15 MPH they started biting again and we caught quite a few in a short time.