Hi everyone,
Went out yesterday on the salamonie and did some spider rigging and trolling. Been noticing alot of small schools of shad with fish about about 2'' in length so I picked up some bass minnows instead of crappie minnows at the bait store and decided to spider rig with them in hopes of picking up some larger fish. They closely resembled the shad in length and I managed a couple 12'' fish along with alot of 11'' fish. Released about 50 fish total most of them from 9''-11'' . Water temp averaged 79 deg. partly sunny, light breeze and just an overall beautiful evening. Caught alot of fish trolling with three rods rigged with 1 1/2 '' twister tails white on 1/8 oz white roadrunner jigs. Also caught several trolling a 1 1/2 '' junebug slider w/ bright green tail on the same white roadrunner jig. Most of the spider rigged fish came at a depth about 12' along a bank from 5' - 28' deep. I tolled the same bank but could'nt really tell how deep my twisters were running. I assume they were running 8'-9' deep because I would start feeling the bottom when my boat would reach that depth. It seemed most bites would come when I trolled in 15'-17' of water. At one point a fish almost pulled a rod from it's holder and when I finally landed it , it was a channel cat that hit the slider and it was around the 4lb mark on 4 lb berkly vanish....great fight!!
Good luck to you all.....treepotato