Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: barometric pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Default barometric pressure

as far as an exact number that adversely affects fishing, what do some of you consider as high pressure on the barometer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never too high to fish

I feel it's just like deer hunting, whereas I don't like to see it above 30, and I would like to see it falling anytime I hunt or fish. But I don't let that or the phase of the moon stop me from going when I can. I even crappie fish during east winds, like I'll do tomorrow, and I hardly ever catch fish during a east wind. I don't think there is a magic number on the barometer, especially since the only effect we can have is whether we go or not. I'm not an expert on the barometer or how it affects fish, so please don't let this keep you from forming your own conclusions about it. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    I feel it's just like deer hunting, whereas I don't like to see it above 30, and I would like to see it falling anytime I hunt or fish. But I don't let that or the phase of the moon stop me from going when I can. I even crappie fish during east winds, like I'll do tomorrow, and I hardly ever catch fish during a east wind. I don't think there is a magic number on the barometer, especially since the only effect we can have is whether we go or not. I'm not an expert on the barometer or how it affects fish, so please don't let this keep you from forming your own conclusions about it. Hope this helps.
    i've fished the high pressure days along with the east wind days myself, and i can tell the difference most definitely. the fish seem to almost lay on the stumps or any other structure for that matter when the pressure is "high". it makes for a long and frustrating day sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Highs and lows of fishing

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    i've fished the high pressure days along with the east wind days myself, and i can tell the difference most definitely. the fish seem to almost lay on the stumps or any other structure for that matter when the pressure is "high". it makes for a long and frustrating day sometimes.
    I totally agree, but at least I can keep the cobwebbs out of the motor until the day they do bite. :D :D I figure I'll come home frustrated tomorrow, but I can fuss at myself all day while I'm relaxing with my jig pole in my hand! Best of luck to you.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

A high barometer is a tough time to fish usually, but if I get the chance to get out on the lake, I'm going to go. It's true that crappie tend to hold tight to deeper cover on a high barometer, but you can catch them if you succeed in finding them. At these times I'd rather use live bait over jigs, but it's usually the only time I do. Even if I strike out, I'll still enjoy the day. For me, it's not all about catching, even though it's great. I'll enjoy the hunt for them.....win or lose. Go if you can, but if you don't you will have missed a day in God's creation. I see it as a chance to "let my brain breathe." No phones, loud music, or distractions. Ya gotta love it!!

Post Thanks / Like

We Fish Reelfoot Lake With A Guide Each Year, And He Gives Us An
    Option Of Not Going Out If The Wind Is Blowing From The Northeast.
    He Says We Won't Catch Any Fish To Speak Of And He Doesnt Want
    To Take Our Money When He Is Sure We Are Not Gonna Catch Any Fish.
    Chef

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    as far as an exact number that adversely affects fishing, what do some of you consider as high pressure on the barometer.
    wWoaH

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef
    We Fish Reelfoot Lake With A Guide Each Year, And He Gives Us An
    Option Of Not Going Out If The Wind Is Blowing From The Northeast.
    He Says We Won't Catch Any Fish To Speak Of And He Doesnt Want
    To Take Our Money When He Is Sure We Are Not Gonna Catch Any Fish.
    Chef

Wind out of the EAST fish bite the Least.
    Wind out of the west fish bite the BEST!

now where did I hear that...hmm

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I cant agree with the wind fishing out of the east is the least. I fished Saturday in a Strong easterly wind, and did really well. Caught my limit in 4 hours, with one fish tipping the scale at 1-3/4 pounds! I believe the barometer has alot more to do with it, I think fishing is good as long as it falling or rising. But if its steady seams to always be tougher for me.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

For us, anything over 30.15 is a killer for the bite, with the exception of trout. I suspect that their longer, slimmer bodies make them a little less sensitive to the air pressure change than the slab-sided members of the sunfish family (crappie, bass, gills, etc.). That's not to say we won't go out, though. We just don't expect to do much. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast