Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drifting

Post Thanks / Like

Question Drifting

Question for you guys?

When drifting with lines behind the boat ( boat may be side ways), do you use floats( is so what type, slip or fixed)? What I am really looking for is, I found alot of big gills 1lb plus in about 10-12 feet of water and looking to see some different methods to catch'em. I was drifting using fixed floats about 10' up on the line but would have to reset it every time. Idea I had was slip float but would have to have enough weight to keep from pulling back through. Maybe no float at all could be used. Ended up with about 15-20 from 3/4 lb to a 1lb. I was using a 1/80 Grizzly jig tipped with meal worm.

New to form and looking for more ideas from the group.
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Post Thanks / Like

I often use a "drop shot" method when drifting or slow trolling. I use 12' crappie pole with 10# test line and Zebco 33 reels. At the bottom of the line, I have a half ounce pensil sinker. I then position 2 snap swivels on the line, one about a foot and a half up from the sinker, the other about a foot and a half above that. I then put pre-tied "snell" hooks with #2 gold aberdeen hooks on the snap swivel. I have caught a ton of crappie using this method and rarely get snagged. Sometimes I let the sinker drag the bottom (you can tell by the rod tip) or I run it at what depth I think I can find the crappie. I suppose, if you had alot of snags on the bottom, you would get hung up alot. But, I rarely get hung up using this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!