Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for Old Hickory advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Old Hickory advice

I'm new to crappie fishing. This past spring, I had no problems locating crappie during the spawn. Now, I can't seem to find them. Are crappie found in the main lake this time of year or are they in the creeks? Do they prefer channels or should I fish along bluffs. I have been fishing deep boat docks with submerged brush and some of the deeper points in the creeks with no luck. I know nothing about jigs, therefore I'm limit myself to minnows.

What's it gonna take for me to catch a crappie this time of year?

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith

What's it gonna take for me to catch a crappie this time of year?
    ...Going to another lake. LOL. I been trying to find the fish over there since last Thursday. I went Thur, Fri, Sun, and today (Mon). Now keep in mind that the week days were just an hour or 2 after work and I had an emergency and only got to fish about 2 hrs Sunday. But my mind tells me they are somewhere around the massive amount of shad covering the lake. But I think there are so many shad, that the fish could be anywhere. I have to believe that they are still close to deep water(78 degree surface temp), chasing shad on a flat nearby. But the only ones I have caught have been about 6" long and there haven't been many. I just think they're real scattered right now. I think the Crappiemasters tournament next week is going to be real tough on them guys. But someone will find them. I just want to know how and where they do. I believe the guys will have to cover some water to find them.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that the shad are disrupting the fishing for most species right now, but that they're abundance will make for some much better crappie fishing in the next couple years. Truth be told, I've always caught fewer but bigger crappie out of Old Hickory. I sure would like to catch a limit of 12 inchers!

BTW, I responded to your thread in the classifieds forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey This Is Cajun Dave Here From Louisiana. I Am Coming Up Next Week For The Crappie Masters Tournament And Was Wanting To Know If You Could Tell Me The Best Place To Camp. I Am Having Alot Of Trouble Getting Information On Exactly How For Places Are From The Actual Place That We Launch. Any Information You Could Give Me Would Be Appreciated.

Thanks
    Cajun Dave
    Shreveport, La
    Good Fishing

Cajun Dave "CRAPPIE GET ON MY LINE"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey This Is Cajun Dave Here From Louisiana. I Am Coming Up Next Week For The Crappie Masters Tournament And Was Wanting To Know If You Could Tell Me The Best Place To Camp. I Am Having Alot Of Trouble Getting Information On Exactly How Far Places Are From The Actual Place That We Launch. Any Information You Could Give Me Would Be Appreciated.

Thanks
    Cajun Dave
    Shreveport, La
    Good Fishing

Cajun Dave "CRAPPIE GET ON MY LINE"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cajun Dave there are alot of us camping at a place called Cages bend or something like that I hear the fishing really sucks down there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big George
    Hey Cajun Dave there are alot of us camping at a place called Cages bend or something like that I hear the fishing really sucks down there
    LOL.

Honestly, to those of you that are fishing the Crappiemasters tournament, there are some good fish in Old Hickory. But in my experience and to most people around they are few and far between. Also Percy Priest lake is less than 10 miles from OH. It is probably a better crappie lake and so it gets a lot more fishing pressure. The TWRA manages it better by placing stakebeds and constantly surveying the fishery and stocking . You just don't really see a lot of crappie fishermen at OH. It gets heavy pleasure boat traffic in warmer months and lots of bass fishing. So the crappie fly under the radar. But they're in there and someone has to win. So don't get dissappointed and lose your confidence. The folks that win will, like in any tournament, be the ones that stay focused and put forth all that they can. Good luck to all.

On another note, what in the hell were the people that planned the Crappiemasters classic thinking? Was it a requirement that the tournament be held on a large lake in a city with a Bass Pro Shops? If they wanted a tough lake to crappie fish they accomplished that goal. Sumner county has a winner with this being held in their county. I think they have a large marketing campaign that is able to attract large tournaments. The Bassmasters have visited them several times along with about every other large tournament trail. Brings them big money. Mt. Juliet(where I live across the lake) really should have thought about this and gotten in on that money.

Maybe it will go well and the spotlight will be put on OH. Then crappie management will maybe become a priority (or at least an idea) there like at Percy Priest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cajun dave
    Hey This Is Cajun Dave Here From Louisiana. I Am Coming Up Next Week For The Crappie Masters Tournament And Was Wanting To Know If You Could Tell Me The Best Place To Camp. I Am Having Alot Of Trouble Getting Information On Exactly How Far Places Are From The Actual Place That We Launch. Any Information You Could Give Me Would Be Appreciated.

Thanks
    Cajun Dave
    Shreveport, La
    Welcome to tennessee Cajun Dave here are some camp grounds Shutes Branch 615-754-4847 it is across from Drakes Creek. leave shutes Branch a little to the left and across the lake. Saunderville Park is left of the mouth of Drakes Creek. I think that is the weigh in site.
    Cedar Creek Camp ground same side as Shutes A little farther up stream 615-754-4947
    Cages Bend Camp ground fair bit up stream just before Station Camp Creek
    615-824-4989
    Do not know much about any of them but have heard they were decent
    Crappie fishing is slow at best. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Shutes Branch Campground is closed. Cedar Creek is open though and Cages Bend is on the side of the river you want to be on. All the tournament happenings are on that side.